Doc's Reef Build

Doc

I don't work for anybody
Yes friends...it is true. I am breaking up my science experiment. The decision is a tough one. I LOVE my fish. It is the reason I started this hobby in the first place. I did fresh water for two years and thought freshwater angelfish were the most beautiful fish, since I remember having them as a child....but when I walked into my LFS and saw my first emperor ...damn. I switched forever and will never look back.

My current tank has had as many as four large angelfish, but currently has two: a 6 inch Koran and a 4 inch Blue. I also have a medium sized angelfish; a singapore angelfish. I also have between 20-30 soft corals, LPS corals and multiple mushrooms and three BTA's. I have been running my science experiment for about 1 year now, and I have been able to successfully kept LPS with angelfish. I am satisfied that I can keep them together, but......I have grown a special place in my heart for a coral reef and I want to expand my current tank into two. My plan is to move all my LPS corals into a 90 gallon tank along with the BTA's, clownfish and a select few leathers, ricordias, and mushrooms. This tank will also include scolymia, brains, xenia, and lobophillias...in time. I will also look to add more shrimp, gorgonias and a clam. More fish will be added: a school of Bartlett's anthias (Christmas anthias) and a copperband butterfly.

The current 125 gallon angel tank will maintain mushrooms, leathers, and other softies. I will also add a radiata lionfish and a sohal tang. I will keep the other fish I currently have in my 125.

My interest has grown into such a passion that I had to have two tanks. A classic reef tank and my continued science experiment.

Here is the current state of my 90 gallon.

P9250002.jpg

I am going to relocate my california kingsnake to a different tank at my work, clean out the tank and hopefully....create my reef tank in 1 day. Here is my 4 foot snake.

P9250003.jpg

P9250001.jpg

I look forward to hearing your feedback to my progress. I have the stand ordered and I will pick it up on Friday and I will start the cleaning process at that time. I should have the tank up and running by the end of next week.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dr Marco's Reef Build

Yay!:bounce::bounce::bounce::^::^::^:

I've been waiting for you to do a build.If it looks anywhere near like your 125,then I'm sure it will be a amazing.I can't wait to see what your going to do with this.Your the fish guy and I'm more of a coral guy.Hopefully I can help you the way you help me.

Best of luck Doc!

I will rely heavily on you and others who CLEARLY know more about tanks than I do. I will try to get a sump ASAP, but funds are tied up in trying to buy a bigger home for the time being. I am gong to get a HOB filter for the reef for the next three months until I can get the money I need to do what I want. It is really bad timing to start another tank, but my wonderful wife understands me so well, she knows that I use my fish to relax and de-stress. She agreed to let me start this tank while we are looking to move. Weird, I know, but I really need to start a new tank. Since I have had a problem with cyano, I have cut down feedings on my 125. Since that time, my angels have killed three of my four blood shrimp. They have also increased nipping at the LPS corals. I don't want to lose my wall hammer - it is HUGE and frankly, don't want to part with it or either of my green and purple branch hammers. Thanks for your support, Reef. I look forward to your feedback.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

Ka. My girls named him/her. I have a redneck corn snake at work already, named Cletus. Classic name for a redneck. Almost as good as....

yeah. I left that one open for you Biff. Way to be predictable.

:yikesu:OMG, I almost threw my laptop to the floor! I was not expecting a snake. I see nightmares in my future.:shock:

Looking forward to following the build.

sorry about the snake. I should have placed a disclaimer for those with weak stomachs. I keep forgetting that some people are terrified of snakes. I will not be posting pics of snakes on my post again. Sorry about that.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I love snakes! I spent one summer working on a project in the Mohave Desert catching rattlesnakes and milking them for their venom.

Dr. feel free to post any pic you want but disclaimer before pic would be appreciated.:D when I was young I din't mind snakes, (not that I would go into the desert to milk them:passedout) but one day when I was about 13 I stepped into a nest of Garter snakes (I know they are harmless) anyway, it was a hole and there were a BUNCH of them all fanned out (getting sun I guess) and I stepped in the hole and my foot got stuck . Dad was running a chainsaw so could not hear me screaming as I had all these snakes around my ankle like Medusa's head. It seemed like hours but I know it was only a couple minutes. Anyway the grossest frickin' feeling ever and have been terrified ever since.

Awesome Doc,cant wait to see what you have in store for the 90...Your stuff is always great..

Awesome Doc.
We all know how your reefs going to turn out.It'll rival mother nature herself.

BTW Biff
Next time you get ready to go milk rattlers,Send me a couple.
Been a long time since I had any BBQed rattle snake.

Eeeew. No way, you eat snakes? But...WHY?

I used to say the exact same thing.Right up untill I went to the rattlesnake round up in west Tx.
A friend of mine talked me into trying it.
I'll tell you,After that first bite,I bought 4 pounds of meat for around 12 bucks a pound.
Flakey like fish,but taste extremely sweet.

I had rattlesnake before and it is pretty good. Reminds me of fish, not a really big fan of fish, so I only ate it one time...

Remember, Fish are friends, not food....:)

I had rattlesnake before and it is pretty good. Reminds me of fish, not a really big fan of fish, so I only ate it one time...

Remember, Fish are friends, not food....:)

That all depends on what kind of fish you got cookin:mrgreen:

Remember, Fish are friends, not food.... your the sharks off nemo, and i like your snake what do you feed it im ,thinking about getting some dwarf chamelions

Back