Drs. Foster and Smith

Discussion in 'Vendor Evaluations' started by jermpool, Jan 23, 2007.

1. jermpool

jermpool NAAO President

It has been a while since this happened but thought I would throw it out threr anyway. I have placed 2 orders with them, they were received in a timely manner. I ordered a Titanium heater from them that the site said it was safe for saltwater. When I got it and opened it there was a piece of paper that said it was not saltwater safe. I called them and they said that I could send it back and order a different one. Later that evening I received an e-mail saying that they had spoke with the manufacturer and it was ok to put in saltwater. So I did. It lasted about 6 months and just stopped working. I'm pretty sure it was the salt because it looked a little rusted close to the end. It may have just been a defected item but we will never know. I will use them in the future for purchases but not product information.

jermpool, Jan 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jermpool

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Thanks for the posting that on the titanium heater jerm. Thats what I was thinking of useing in my 55,guess i'll get one of those thats got the plastic instead. Dont want to use a glass one after I seen what a broken heater can do. Bermuda had a glass heater break a couple of weeks ago, fried a couple of jawfish with 110 volts.

yote, Jan 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jermpool

AndyB4784

finnex makes a decent titanium heater and controller

AndyB4784, Jan 23, 2007
  4. jermpool

JellyMan

Thats so not good.

JellyMan, Jan 23, 2007
  5. jermpool

LConte17

ive had issues with them over some product info a few times within the past 2 weeks. i agree with what u said, ill be ordering from there when i need several items but i wont ever suggest getting info from then over products.

LConte17, Mar 7, 2007
  6. jermpool

reeffreak

Your so right.All the large online aquarium supply retailer have bad customer service when it comes to product info.(2Doc's,ThatPetPlace,Big Al's)
    I found out smaller online stores like Marine Depot has more knowledgeable reps.

reeffreak, Mar 7, 2007
  7. jermpool

matthew1048 Wurd to ya motha

Since the topic is Drs. Foster and Smith, I figured I'd share something that I found odd on there site. I was browsing around through the fish section and noticed a "Learn More" tab at the top of the page. I clicked on it and found several articles.

While looking through one, which was about stocking a saltwater aquarium, they gave what I found to be a really odd stocking rate..."stock no more than ½ an inch of fully grown fish per gallon of water in your aquarium." I thought the recommended rate was 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. What's the deal, banana peal???

Here's a link: Stocking Your Saltwater Aquarium

matthew1048, Mar 20, 2007
  8. jermpool

matthew1048 Wurd to ya motha

UPDATE!!!
    Ok, so the stocking rate that I found on the site bothered me enough I emailed customer service, and of course it was to no avail. I was told that my concern was fowarded on to "management" and that I would receive an explanation from them. It's been about 4 days now and no response.

So....what did my pestering redneck self do? I called them. I explained what my concern was, and what the stocking rate was that I was familair with (1 inch per 5 gallons), and the lady said she had NEVER heard of that, and that a 75 gallon tank would perfectly fine with 35 inches of fish!

matthew1048, Mar 30, 2007
  9. jermpool

sasscuba

What heater? Link?

sasscuba, Mar 30, 2007
  10. jermpool

Biertrinker

Anyone have experience with livestock from Drs. Foster and Smith?

Biertrinker, Apr 4, 2007
  11. jermpool

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yep I have ordered from Live Aquaria and E-Tropicals. Half my order from E-Tropicals came dead once, but other than that have not had any problems.

Bifferwine, Apr 4, 2007
  12. jermpool

Biertrinker

How did they handle the dead half of your order? refund?

Biertrinker, Apr 5, 2007
  13. jermpool

Bifferwine I am a girl

Nope. They have a guarantee on all their animals, but I didn't call them, I just decided not to order animals from them ever again.

Bifferwine, Apr 5, 2007
  14. jermpool

Ironman

foster and smith has great customer service if something live doesnt make it through shipping or for the first 14 days. they will replace the item no questions asked

Ironman, Apr 6, 2007
  15. jermpool

EagleEyes AFT Club Quality Analyst

I am agreeing on bad info here. I dont know about liveaquaria. Some of the things that they post about lighting and protein skimmers. Im sure i spent quite a while looking to see if their advice for skimmers was relevant.

EagleEyes, Aug 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question