Drs. Foster and Smith

jermpool

NAAO President
It has been a while since this happened but thought I would throw it out threr anyway. I have placed 2 orders with them, they were received in a timely manner. I ordered a Titanium heater from them that the site said it was safe for saltwater. When I got it and opened it there was a piece of paper that said it was not saltwater safe. I called them and they said that I could send it back and order a different one. Later that evening I received an e-mail saying that they had spoke with the manufacturer and it was ok to put in saltwater. So I did. It lasted about 6 months and just stopped working. I'm pretty sure it was the salt because it looked a little rusted close to the end. It may have just been a defected item but we will never know. I will use them in the future for purchases but not product information.

Thanks for the posting that on the titanium heater jerm. Thats what I was thinking of useing in my 55,guess i'll get one of those thats got the plastic instead. Dont want to use a glass one after I seen what a broken heater can do. Bermuda had a glass heater break a couple of weeks ago, fried a couple of jawfish with 110 volts.

yote said:
Thanks for the posting that on the titanium heater jerm. Thats what I was thinking of useing in my 55,guess i'll get one of those thats got the plastic instead. Dont want to use a glass one after I seen what a broken heater can do. Bermuda had a glass heater break a couple of weeks ago, fried a couple of jawfish with 110 volts.

Thats so not good.

ive had issues with them over some product info a few times within the past 2 weeks. i agree with what u said, ill be ordering from there when i need several items but i wont ever suggest getting info from then over products.

Your so right.All the large online aquarium supply retailer have bad customer service when it comes to product info.(2Doc's,ThatPetPlace,Big Al's)
I found out smaller online stores like Marine Depot has more knowledgeable reps.

Since the topic is Drs. Foster and Smith, I figured I'd share something that I found odd on there site. I was browsing around through the fish section and noticed a "Learn More" tab at the top of the page. I clicked on it and found several articles.

While looking through one, which was about stocking a saltwater aquarium, they gave what I found to be a really odd stocking rate..."stock no more than ½ an inch of fully grown fish per gallon of water in your aquarium." I thought the recommended rate was 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. What's the deal, banana peal???

Here's a link: Stocking Your Saltwater Aquarium

UPDATE!!!
Ok, so the stocking rate that I found on the site bothered me enough I emailed customer service, and of course it was to no avail. I was told that my concern was fowarded on to "management" and that I would receive an explanation from them. It's been about 4 days now and no response.

So....what did my pestering redneck self do? I called them. I explained what my concern was, and what the stocking rate was that I was familair with (1 inch per 5 gallons), and the lady said she had NEVER heard of that, and that a 75 gallon tank would perfectly fine with 35 inches of fish!

jermpool said:
It has been a while since this happened but thought I would throw it out threr anyway. I have placed 2 orders with them, they were received in a timely manner. I ordered a Titanium heater from them that the site said it was safe for saltwater. When I got it and opened it there was a piece of paper that said it was not saltwater safe. I called them and they said that I could send it back and order a different one. Later that evening I received an e-mail saying that they had spoke with the manufacturer and it was ok to put in saltwater. So I did. It lasted about 6 months and just stopped working. I'm pretty sure it was the salt because it looked a little rusted close to the end. It may have just been a defected item but we will never know. I will use them in the future for purchases but not product information.

What heater? Link?

Yep I have ordered from Live Aquaria and E-Tropicals. Half my order from E-Tropicals came dead once, but other than that have not had any problems.

Nope. They have a guarantee on all their animals, but I didn't call them, I just decided not to order animals from them ever again.

foster and smith has great customer service if something live doesnt make it through shipping or for the first 14 days. they will replace the item no questions asked

I am agreeing on bad info here. I dont know about liveaquaria. Some of the things that they post about lighting and protein skimmers. Im sure i spent quite a while looking to see if their advice for skimmers was relevant.

Back