emergency!!!

earman88

Reefing newb
Ok so today i got home and my tank had a film on the glass and the rocks/sand were covered in a golden brown algae. My torch coral was still tucked in. My firefish is laying on his side barely breathing. My water test strip looked ok.. but my alkalinity looked a little low. My temp and dalt are ok. What could be wrong?? I did a quick 1.5g water change.

:shock:Test strips are a horrible way to test water they r really inacurate try to buy liquid test kits and until then I would do a large water change like 3 gallons also make sure ur using pure water tap causes algae and some chemical could harm fish srry for what ur going through good luck

Hard to say what could be wrong! You did the right thing by doing a quick water change.

Were any chemicals or cleaning products used in the vicinity of the tank? Lysol, Windex, 409, Pinesol, etc?

Were there any tank inhabitants missing?

Well recently i did about a 80% water change. My lfs thinks my tank just is doing a mini cycle again and these diatons are jist part of it..
So i am going to ride it out the next day or so

After having to be away from my tank for some time.. it went bad.. algae everywher.. xenia dying off.. so i thought it would be good to scrape everything off the glass and just do a big water change.. my mistake lol

You live and you learn =(

So this morning I noticed that my torch coral frag was pretty much sucked wayy back in. Under the blue accent moonlight LED's I couldn't even see any of it's 'heads' glowing green. I think I counted 3 little small heads on the side.

Does this mean he's dead or just retracted? Because typically when he's retracted I have still been able to see his green tips...

If you can easily take him out, take a little smell, when my torch died, i knew he was dead once he hit the air.

I've done many 40% and a few 50% water changes and my tank was fine but 80% is risky. The higher percentage water change the more precisely the temp and salinity must match !

Try putting a phosphate buster chem in there. Your corals are probably sick due phosphates moreso than nitrates. On the other hand if ammonia could be the killer.

Back