Encountering Problems

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
It is inevitable that we will all encouter problems in this hobby. Some worse than others but it is bound to happen. The purpose of this thread is for everyone to share the problems that are going on in their tank and to share what you are doing to overcome those problems. This may be useful to all members on this forum.

Me:

Extremely fast growing Y-Brancing algae. It is growing like crazy on the outside of my overflow and I am praying to god that it doesn't end up on my rock:frustrat: I am doing my best to decrease nutrients through skimming and water changes. I have also thought about hooking up a GFO.

Well first off...anyone reading this thread for info should defininitely check this out:
https://www.livingreefs.com/marine-aquarium-disasters-and-prevent-them-t20514.html

But, I would mind a thread to b$!*ch either :mrgreen:

I was actually planning to start my own thread called, "Automatic Feeders are EVIL!" As a few days ago mine came unattached from it's glued footings and fell into my tank, unfortunately I did not find out till 6 hours later when the water was already super cloudy:frustrat: :sad: In the end it killed my blue headed wrasse which then became a snack for my hermit :pissed:. However, I was lucky that my tank was not covered in pellets, that actually stayed within the feeders cannister. All I had to do was remove the feeder pellet container AND BATTERY POWERED MOTOR BODY (I was so scarred that it was going to leak battery acid in my tank or something, but it seemed fine). After that I did a 40% + water change turned off the lights so as not to add stress to the rest of the living livestock and let my filter do it's job (turned the UV filter on also).

I was super happy when the second day came (was about ready to do my second water change that day) and the water was super clear and the remaining live stock was not only alive but full colored AND EATING :bounce:...went to work and got a phone call from the girlfriend in the middle of my shift...Power Outage expected to last for over 12 hours due to an underground fire or something :frustrat: :frustrat:

So after my tank appeared to survive an ammonia spike, it was now going to suffocate to death as i have no battery back up for my blowers or anything :sad: :frustrat:...drove to petsmart which was closed by this point and then walmart either looking for a battery back-up or battery operated blower...found nothing :frustrat:...got home, power was back on :shock: :bounce:. In the process however, ran from my car to the Petsmart entrance as the manager was locking the door and my cell phone not only fell out of my pocket, but was JACKED by some kid that was leaving the store with his family :pissed: my girlfriend saw them run over but didn't know that my cell phone had fallen out nor what the kids were picking up :frustrat: ....wasn't a fun couple of days :sad:

a couple years ago i knew that my main pump was going out.i would turn it off to change my water and it would not want to start back up all i had to do was bang it a little and it would take off well one weekend i did a water change and well the pump took a shit and would not start backup thank god that i have good flow from powerheads in the tank that is was fine until i could get a new pump. i dont know whati would do if those powerheads were not there.

the other thing that happened to me was i had one end cap that failed and started a fire in my hood before it triped the breaker so thank god it just scorched the hood a bit and did not burn my house down.

010-3.jpg

011-3.jpg

The worst I've had so far,was a fight with dinos.Had perfect water according to my test kits and 2 different stores kits.
What I ended up doing,was killing the lights for 2 full weeks,dripped kalkwasser 24/7 to keep the PH above 8.5,and did a couple of 75% water changes.

Back