ensuring no ich in an old tank

Dakwan

Reefing newb
Heyo,

as i'm sure some of you know i'm getting an already established tank

My question is this:

as the tank is currently fish only would it be smart to run hypo salinity for awhile to kill parasites like ich that may be in the tank? I don't know if the guy did hypo qt on his fish or what not.

just curious what you guys think

You could run hypo in the tank, but it very well may damage/kill any live rock or sand that is in the tank. Copper would be out of the question if there is any rock or sand in it.

no not at all, the fish seems completly healthy as far as i know but i'm only going by 2nd hand information since i haven't seen the tank yet.

I've just been doing some reading and have read about people lamenting the fact that they never qt'd fish in an anti-ich envrionment from the start ensuring that their display tank was completly ich free.

I'm an engineer in industrial controls so i'm a *little* :mrgreen: bit of a control freak and tend to try and deal with problems before they become a problem.

It seems ich is, by far, the most common ailment for fish so if i could completly eliminate it from ever being an issue in my tank i thought that might be a good idea

You could run hypo in the tank, but it very well may damage/kill any live rock or sand that is in the tank. Copper would be out of the question if there is any rock or sand in it.
More than likely this will happen ,as hypo would be down to 1.008-09.....i did hypo to rid my fish of ich,,i was fortunate enough to have a 75 hospital to preform hypo in and leave my DT empty...In any chase,if the fish look and act healthy,i would hold off on any drastic measures...ich does not have to be a death sentence ,but on the other hand it does'nt have to be in your DT either....good luck:Cheers:

I'd say that if you can't quarantine them in a separate tank without rock and sand, then don't bother trying to treat them for ich that they may or may not ever have a problem with anyways.

Back