Equipment Update

poolshark181

Reefing newb
I finally broke down and maxed my credit card to get new lighting and a skimmer.

It's a nova extreme t5 HO light fixture and an aquac remora. i also got two mj-600 for the tank, but havent found the sweet spot yet to get a current everywhere i want it to be. any suggestions

i have one in the middle pointing to the top to agitate the surface, and another at the back, pointed straight across to create a circular current around the tank near the bottom "in theory" but it didnt end up that way.

also, my aquac is outputting alot of microbubbles, this should take a week to "break in" the skimmer before it goes away right? in the meantime, can i add more fish without agitating them(from microbubbles)? (firefish?)

P1020307.JPG

P1020310.JPG

P1020309.JPG

I put mine one on the left and one on the right. One facing the surface and the other half surface half back wall.

Tank looks great,really nice coralline coverage.I like my powerheads either place on the back glass,facing the front glass or on the sides,facing one another.On either case both near the surface causing a rippling effect.

BTW,congrats on the lights and skimmer plus maxing your credit card(I know how that feels).As far as the lights,I think you should like them alot.I don't have the skimmer so I can't tell you how good the Aqua C is but I'm sure Biff will tell you its the best skimmer in the whole wide world!(just kidding Biffy)
I've seen fish do fine in water with a heck of alot more micro-bubbles,I think you should be fine.

Congratulation again.

Hey hey hey now! I don't think it's the best skimmer in the world...But I do think it's the highest quality H.O.B. skimmer you can get for that amount of money! :p. Who am I kidding. I should get paid by Aqua C for the amount I brag about their products.

Well Freak, I've been enjoying this for a while now, but I think it's time to burst your bubble... In your title, you've mispelled "witty". Hehehehe. :D Who's witty now??? ;)

I knew that!Cough! Cough!
It only gives you a certain amount of letters.I could of abbreviated manager instead but at the time didn't have a clue on what it was.I think its mgr.

are you calling the nozzle that directs the flow endcaps? if that's what you are talking about then no, they are not necassary. but, if your'e talking about the screen at the suction end, then yes those are. they will keep small fish from getting turned into mincemeat.

Congrats on the new equipment Pool.
The tank looks great.Just be sure to leave enough room to take the PHs out for cleaning with out having to move your rock around.

If your talking about the directional spout, then no they're not nesessary, but they help spread the flow out and direct it.

I run a 1200 and a 365 GPH aqua clear in mine and I think I got perfect flow. If I lowered the power heads I wouldn't have the flow I need. I've tried it.

I think two MJ600 should be fine in a 28 gallon.(there is other flow going on,right?)I always use the directional spout,angled toward the surface.

I left the Spout on my pinguin 550 cause im lazy But i really like the Flow the K3 puts out 850 GPH i have to heep it at half tank or i get a wherl pool going !

The tank looks great man. I love those rocks !
Im not shure about adding Fish yet. I wonder why you have those micro bubbles?

Try pointing the PH at each other from opposite sides of the tank. This will create a lot of good random flow as the water jets slam into each other.

the microbubbles are from my skimmer breaking in. it's an aquac remora. itll have microbubbles the first week or so im told. as far as other sources of flow, theres only the skimmer.

Last edited:
Back