Euro-Reef or Berlin Protein Skimmer???

well its me again, the prefilter box is not a nessesity and can be bought later. the box is bulky and not attractive. the advantage is that it pulls the water to be skimmed from the surface of the tank where the proteins and crud like to congregate (laimens terms)!:mrgreen: thats why if you look at most tanks that arnt reef ready or dont have surface agitation there is a film on top of the water similar to a oil slick. in a nut shell the skimmer will be more efficient with the box on it. Ive also been told that the skimmer box cuts down on microbubbles entering the tank from the skimmer. but as said before you can always add it later. (I dont use one out of lazyness).
as for the live rock, Personally I would recommend ordering figi premium live rock from Liveaquaria.com. I have ordered it from them several times. once I got a bad order from them but there customer service is very good and they will make it right if you have a problem. the rock is cured and goes through alot of cleaning processes that most places dont do. however there will be alittle die off in shipping so you can expect a small amount of curing again. since you are starting from scrach I would recommend you get the skimmer and live rock running in the tank for awhile to cycle before adding anything living. the rock I think was around $2.50 lb. after shipping and was nice pourous stuff. you could buy some base rock locally to get a structure then buy a box of premium to get your final layer.
If your wanting to get some powerheads I have had the best success with maxijets. they are very universal for mounting and aplications. and ive yet to have one go bad on me. I also use a red sea wavemaster pro to cycle them on and off. the down side to maxijets and most powerheads is that they dirrect high current to small areas which can beat up whatever its pointed at, so it takes time to get them set where they work. If your willing to spend alittle more you can buy a couple seio pumps. they work really well because of the large amount of water they can move and disperse in a much wider pattern. you could also get some tunze streams but they break the bank. all this said start with what you can afford. it all can be made to work. I personally use maxijets, seios, seaswirls,aquafuge return, and main returns for my water flow. I like diversity.:mrgreen: keep the questions coming. and since I didnt give you my normal spill. dont ever take one persons ideas or opinions and use them. do your own research to because it your stuff that could die. and every tank is different and what works for mine problem wont work the same for yours. if we all work together though we can usually figure out whats going to work best for people. good luck

I actually found that my Remora worked a lot better without the prefilter box. I have to empty out the collection cup twice as often since I took off the box, I don't know why, I'm guessing the flow through the skimmer is maximized when the pump is in open water vs. enclosed in a tiny box where the inflow is restricted. I noticed the water flowing much faster through it too, once I removed the box. So you don't have to get the box with it. I think that if you go with the Remora, you'll see that it gets the job done, whether you have the box or not.

Hum.. well.. box or not, I just order the Remora Pro from Marinedepot.com. If I feel like the top of my water is "nasty" , well, I ll get the box and try it... But I'm glad I set my mind on the Remora Skimmer...

I just filled up my tank with water tonight. My water heater is in there. I will go the the fish store tomorow and buy the salt. So this is a beginning! I also have a canister filter.(Marineland-Magnum 350) This is my next question............ What do I put in the filter???? The regular Charcoal????:shock: I went trought the 2 books that I read, and none of the books specified what to put in the canister filters!?!? Migh be a stupid question again, but better be safe then be sorry! :mrgreen:

Ironman, as for the rocks, I checked out the website that you told me... (liveaquaria.com) and coudn't find any CURED fiji rocks. All I could find was PRE-CURED rocks... Have anyone ever heard about International Marine Fish?
Welcome to International Marine Fish - Premium Live Rock Check out that link, they sell 120 LBS of Fiji live rock for $390.00, and they say that shipping is free if you buy over 90 lbs.... Welcome to International Marine Fish - Premium Live Rock Should I give it a try or just stick with the more expensive stuff (liveaquaria.com)? What are your toughts on that one..? And I just checked, and I do not think that liveaquaria ships to Canada....

Thank you SO MUCH to all of you!!! Your help is SO SO SO SO APPRECIATED!!! :bowdown:

I would skip the canister filter altogether. When I started out, I had a HOT Magnum and everyone told me that it would be a nitrate factory. I was stubborn about it and used it anyways, and had major nitrate problems within a matter of months, even with weekly cleanings and water changes. I even put a nitrate sponge in my canister filter and ran it 24/7, but nothing helped. Then I took the canister filter off altogether, and my nitrates dropped by 20 within a matter of days.

If you still want to use it, I wouldn't recommend charcoal 24/7 since it removes even the good things from the water. I'd probably recommend Nitrate Sponge (Kent Marine) or DeNitrate (Seachem). But if you start seeing nitrate build up, the canister filter might partly be to blame.

at first I would run the canister with some carbon to help clean with all the new live rock, fill the media container with carbon and run the filter floss to. at first there will be alot of detritus and junk everywhere from the new rock and it will help clean it out. As for the long haul Im not really sure why there would be a nitrate problem unless you dont change the filter floss regularly. especially with a 90 gallon tank. I can only see it being a problem on a small tank, and even then minimal if kept clean. but after the tank is settled in you really would only need it to acasionally run carbon or some other media. with a good skimmer and enough water flow you would be fine.

Back