Euthenasia... :(

kbuser92

Breeder
So I had the pleasure last night of diagnosing a betta with dropsy and after some quick research, made the decision that I should euthanize it. I was trying to find out how to humanely do so, even though its "just a fish", and read that the best way is to use clove oil first, ten add vodka. Well, it was 10:00 p.m. on a Sunday and I had neither (Im not 21 anyways). I ended up just flushing the poor guy...I feel a little bad necause of how I had to do it and waws hoping some of you have had to do this before so I can have advice if I ever need to again. Im going to be picking up a little bottle of clove oil as an anesthetic to keep on hand in the next couple weeks because I want to be more humane if I have to do it again. Everyone else in that tank is healthy, so it shouldnt be an urgent issue, but Ill be keeping a close eye out for anything odd.

Thanks in advance.

Anytime I've had to do this (which is not very often, thank god) I've used the freezer.
Put the fish in a ziploc with some water (enough to swim around in, obviously) and stick it in the freezer. Being coldblooded, the fish will "go to sleep".
Sorry about your betta. But dropsy can be treatable, since it's usually a sign of a bacterial or fungal infection.

The best way that most (like myself) cannot stomach is chopping off their heads...it's quick. But I could never do it. I wouldn't have flushed mine, though....cuz if you think about it, you flush them, they're still alive, being tossed in cold fresh water that has god knows how many bacteria floating into my gills......just sayin'.

I keep betas over many years and I have treated them successfully using a multi-antibiotic for all types of ailments. For me when I see one of my fish suffering I put them in one of those in tank breeder boxes, turn the light off and let them die naturally. I could never flush or chop off its head.

I never heard of the freezer method but I love my fish so much I cant imagine doing that either.

I have a freshwater angel fish that I swear should be dead it would start floating upside down, breathing hard, fins damaged etc and somehow with no treatment he always comes back to life.

I dont think its my decision to kill any creature.

The three methods considered most humane are putting it in a bag of water in the freezer, decapitation, and dunking it in vodka. I have had to euthanize fish before, and I just can't handle cutting off a head, but I've used the other two methods. The vodka method is instantaneous, and the freezer method is (supposedly) painless. I think it's better to euthanize an animal than allow it to slowly suffer. I wouldn't be able to stand watching one of my animals die gradually over several days if I knew for sure there was no way for it to survive.

The three methods considered most humane are putting it in a bag of water in the freezer, decapitation, and dunking it in vodka. I have had to euthanize fish before, and I just can't handle cutting off a head, but I've used the other two methods. The vodka method is instantaneous, and the freezer method is (supposedly) painless. I think it's better to euthanize an animal than allow it to slowly suffer. I wouldn't be able to stand watching one of my animals die gradually over several days if I knew for sure there was no way for it to survive.

Yeah I guess you are right I am glad I have never had to see that. I either wake up and they are dead or they just disappear with no body ever found. Like I said my freshwater angel has been on deaths door more than once and always came back so I would feel bad killing it when you dont really know if they can recover.

If I wouldve thought it could be saved, trust me, I wouldve tried. Ive heard the vodka and decapitation methods are extremely painful for that split second, thus the clove oil as an anesthetic. I would probably add some to the freezer bag just to be sure, too...

Back