Everything's dead...

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
This morning I woke up around 11, all my fish were dead, half my coral looks like hell, all of my cleaners are dead too.

I did a water check. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all 0. pH 8.0, DKH 6.

A few days ago I had a temp spike up to 86..that's been it. And that was two or three days ago. I haven't been running a skimmer because of the sump issues(pump heated the water). Last night I got the sump skimmer out and set it up to run HOB. There were a considerable amount of microbubbles in the water, but otherwise that's been it. I did a 10g water change a week ago.

For now I moved all that was alive looking into my frag tanks. I still hadn't gotten rock in there, but the sand and old tank water from water changes had been in there for a week or two. I got some of the rock from the tank that crashed and cleaned it off very well and stuck it in there....

I have no clue what the hell happened..but my two clowns, my tang, several corals, and all my CUC..including my blood shrimp and star are all dead :*(

Temp for the past few days has been 80. I'm not sure if the temp did it or what, but EVERYTHING had been fine when it was in the high 80's for several days.

I'm just pissed, frustrated, and very very sad right now.

Adding this in but I don't think it really matters. Last Sunday I got a Kenya weed for my frag tank. Since it wasn't done I added it to my MT. It had been shriveling up some and some of the heads had sorta broken off of the main coral. I figured it was just doing poorly because it had a 4 hour trip in a bag. I pulled it a few times to do a smell test on it but it always smelled perfectly fine : /

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that...I don't think a stray voltage would kill everything so suddenly...has anyone did any cleaning in the same room as the tank, maybe getting some cleaning products in the water via the air. I also doubt that the temp being 80* had anything to do with it. Idk...that does sound really weird...again, I'm so sorry for your misfortune.

No anenome...And no cleaning. No one is allowed in the room unless I'm there, lol. The pumps that are in there are the ones I've had for the past 8 or so months : /

I should have done something last night. I found my shrimp stuck to a powerhead, it had just molted though..so I figured maybe it molted and couldn't really get away or something. Then this morning they were all laying in the sand. One of the clowns was alive another hour or so..he was breathing really hard. I still don't get it. All tests come out just fine..the tests aren't old either.

WHat really sucks is that my clam is stuck to the bottom of the tank so I really can't pull him out of the tank...He's still kinda alive.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm going to do a 50% water change and let the tank sit for a week or so. Whatever lives(if it doesn't overwhelm the bio filter in my frag tank I'm going to be surprised), it'll be going back in the tank. Right now there are hundreds of baby snails all dead faceup in my sand right now.

I'm half tempted to through the whole thing outside. I work a lot of long hours..and everyday when I come home I spend time tending to the tank. I've always stayed on top of water changes..I try to buy the best equipment I can, and still everything dies..and there will probably never be a reason for it.

I'm sorry to hear that Garret.That bites hard I know.

I've got to agree with Andysgirl though.Enough stray voltage could have caused the problem.Its just a guess,But its still something to think about.And new pumps can short out just as quick as an old one.

My first thought was also a surge of electricity. Something could have happened that immediately electrocuted everyone.

Do you have your equipment plugged into surge protectors? Was there a storm in the middle of the night? Something that could have messed with the power?

Oh, that's awful :( I get sad when I lose one fish. But to lose all of them is just OUCH. It's even harder when you don't know what caused it.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you Garret. It is so frustrating to not have the answers; probably one of the most shitty things about this hobby. The mysterious deaths. Ugh!

Wonder if it could have been a dissolved oxygen level problem. Could there have been a power outage during the night?

+1dcan, i was gonna say the same thing.... i know thats happened to my fresh water tanks and killed the whole lot of fish :( its a sad mean cruel world for things like that to happen :( sorry for your loss

Thanks so much guys. I'm getting less frustrated about it but it's still really depressing. Tomorrow I'm going to check for stray voltage. Trying to look at it like a fresh start..when I get it started back up I can at least have my sump and all that stuff setup well.

Biff...all my stuff is plugged into a surge protector : / There weren't any storms and we didn't lose any power.

A lot of the coral is actually looking OK. I don't understand the tank though. All paramenter are fine, but something bad definitely happened. The clam is staying closed and it's occassionally weeping out this white stuff...I wish I could do something for him, but if I cut that foot to get him out he's for sure dead..this way he might have a small chance.

A huge bad part about this includes the prices of all this stuff. It's a constant struggle to convince my wife to let me spend the money for this hobby..and when something unexpected and out of the blue wipes it all away.....It's going to be extremely difficult to get back into it.

it's a very unfortunate situation that your are put in. Just think of it as a "Sh*t Happens" moment, or an opportunity for a drastic rebuild. thats what i would do. i would definitely not give up on this hobby.

Sorry to hear about your losses, but cheer up gdbyrd, and dont let bad luck get the best of you. im sure your next project will be a much more beautiful one.

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. I'm fairly new to this, and would be devastated to have anything like this happen. I had a thought, maybe off base, but, what about food? CUCs and fish in my tank all eventually feed on what I toss in. Could spoiled food play a role here? Do you have a new batch of frozen that you used for the first time? Just a thought. So sorry.

Back