Everything's dead...

Gdbyrd, sorry to hear about your loss. I am going to thow some wild theories out there, but I don't think I really can tell what happened. Let's focus on the changes to your tank to see if we can diagnose the problem.

As far as I can see the following is a list of all the changes in the last two weeks:

1) Heat spike to 86.
2) No skimmer running for 3 days
3) Changed sump skimmer to run as HOB
4) Introduced microbubbles.
5) New Kenya Tree last week

1) I don’t think the heat spike caused the die-off. My heat spikes to 86 in the summer months and I have not experienced a massive die-off. Also, the fact that the water temperature was back to normal for days before the die-off seems to indicate that the heat was not the problem.

2) I don’t think that your cessation of skimming was the problem either. Your nitrates remained undetectable, and you had just performed a water change.

3). The HOB skimmer may be the culprit. You changed this the night before everything died, which leads me to think this may have been the cause. Depending on how extensive your changes to the protein skimmer were, this may be the source of the electrical leak. If there was a leak however, I would have expected you to have felt it when you removed the dead fish. What changes were necessary to get this thing to work as a HOB? Do you have a deep sand bed in your sump? If so, when you moved the PS did you disturb the sand? Disturbing deep sand beds can release toxins formed by anaerobic bacteria.
Also, what do you do for work? Is there a chance that you had any chemicals on your hands when you were fishing around in the sump?

4) I don’t think the microbubble killed the fish. Actually the presence of microbubbles seems to suggest that there was enough oxygen in the tank, so the fish didn’t suffocate.

5) The Kenya tree could be the culprit too. Kenya trees compete with hard corals by releasing 'terpenoid' or 'sarcophine' compounds into the water. These compounds are similar to turpentine in chemical structure and can be just as toxic—although I have not heard of fish being killed by them. Also, where was the Kenya tree from? Some places still use cyanide to capture fish, and this could have leeched from the Kenya tree. (long shot, but I figured I would throw it out there).

Anyway, good luck rebuilding. On the bright side, you can take all the knowledge you have learned to date and start anew. Make the tank that you always wanted. If this ever happens to me I may tell my wife that the fish died because my tank is too small, and that I am finally going to get that 300 gallon one that I have had my eye on. ;-)

Thanks for the ideas guys. Well. The sump was brand new with no sand in it. The skimmer is sold as a HOB/IN sump skimmer. So running it as a HOB just requires you switch a pipe out, no other mods.

I'm stumped. Some of the sand in my tank was disturbed, maybe a half inch was moved. Not sure if that could have caused it..the sand is really new though.

I've been doing 10-15g water changes everyday and the water still smells so bad I can't really stand over the tank too long. I added a big bag of carbon to the tank today too.

I honestly don't know what would be best to do...tear the tank down and start over with new sand, water, and reuse my rock...or just ride it out. .

I'm off Thursday, hopefully then I'll be able to check the voltage idea.

So now that I have a blank canvas, what direction should I go in with it?

I would proceed as normal, doing weekly water changes and wait 8 weeks before doing anything else. Give the tank some time to re-establish itself.

Lol. Since I've been doing these daily water changes, I've had a 1" piece of clear tubing I've been using as a syphon. Well, I got some pipe and slid over it, 2x 90;s and a small straight piece, so that it'd stay secured on the side of the tank at the depth I wanted.

Well, I've been getting home later and later with work and the last thing I really feel like doing is a water change. Last night I decided I would just leave the syphon on the tank, but push all of it inside the tank....

I had trouble falling asleep last night, but last time I checked the clock it was 2 AM. At about 3:30 I woke up to an awful sound. At some point the tubing had fallen out of the tank..and I had about 25 gallons of water on my floor. My MJ had hit the air.

I'm just trying to laugh about it but it sure did suck. Water stunk bad, so I spent the next two hours using our carpet shampooer to clean off the floors. It's still really wet but I have a bunch of fans going. Mixing up water now to refill all that was in there.

When the water level got lower, not sure what happened, but my sureflow started stirring up the sand. So it's a total mess in there now.

The saying is true. When it rains it pours, in this case it was kinda a literal translation lol.

Still strange. All my feather dusters are alive and well in the tank. I even found a handful of hermit crabs munching on some of the dead snails. There was some coral I didn't pull over to the frag tanks and it all still looks just fine. It's just confusing.

Since Im waiting awhile..I wanted to ask a question about tanks cycling. Lets say I check this tank in a week and the everything's where it should be. If I wait another 7 weeks..won't the bacteria die off or something? If they don't have food from waste products won't they start to decrease in number? Always been curious.

Hate to hear about the flood.But if you aint floodin,you aint reefin:D Its kind of a right of passage for being a reefer.

This is one of those times that just sucks but hang in there. You will get your tank back on track and look back on this time and be glad you didnt quit. Im sorry it's been a rough couple of weeks.

I haven't had a tank flood, but I did forget a few times to shut off my ro/di :) :) :) Luckily it's in my utility closet that has cement floor. Oh wait..I just remember once while I left town for the weekend, I left a slow drip to keep the level in my sump from going too low due to evaporation, and at some point, the tube fell out of the sump, and was drip drip dripping onto my carpet for a couple of days :) My brother in law was supposed to keep an eye on it, but apparently did not. Luckily, my sump did not over-evaporate. And at least the water on my carpet was ro/di. I can't imagine my tank water in my carpet! I know it would stink after a while!

I've bought a steam cleaner, which puts my mind at ease for any possible floodings :)

did you check salinity. I know I sometimes forget abou that when checking parameters and changing old tank water with new tank water can make a big change in salinity of not calculated correctly.

Back