Evil Hermits Harassing Star Polps

I've got the same problem. To make a long story longer I bought a beautiful colony of star polyps about a month ago. They have been open without fail during that time. I broke a piece of the mat off and moved it to the far side of my tank. Both doing fine until yesterday. Not a single polyp on my main colony opened at all yesterday. Very odd - but the small piece I moved looked fine. Today I get home and the main colony is still closed up tight. I look over to see how the smaller piece is doing and it is gone - the whole darn thing.

I search all over my tank and finally find the smaller piece - way across the tank from where it was tucked in between pieces of rock.

I have a few very tiny hermits. It's certainly plausible they could crawl over the polyps making them close - but the piece that was moved across the tank is very large compared to the tiny hermits. I doubt they moved it.

I think I still have (2) Peppermint Shrimp (I haven't seen them for weeks but that is typical). I have a Clarki Clown, a very small Royal Gramma and a very small Damsel. Would any of those critters bother Star Ployps to the point of picking up the small colony and moving it across the tank?

I'm going to try to rig up some kind of cage or set the main colony in a container within my tank for a day or two. If they stay open this should confirm if it is one of the critters bothering them vs. some environmental factor.

Star polyps will normally close up for a few days ever so often.I have no idea why,but they do it.They might look great for every day for 8 or 9 months,then just decide to close up for a few day:dunno:

And it IS possible that your clown moved the frag.I've seen them do things like that at the LFS.

Back