False trips on GFCI Breaker vs. Outlets

jwilson

Reefing newb
Anyone know whether GFCI breakers are any less prone to false trips than GFCI Outlets?

I have a fluorescent light wired into the same line as a gfci outlet in my basement and the thing has lots of false trips. I'm told it is because of the fluorescent light's ballast. The last thing I need is to loose a tank because nobody is home for a while after a false ground fault trip.

Im not sure about the GFCI breaker but I do know that if either one is continually being tripped they will wear out. This might be your problem? The other possibility is the ballast in your light might be going bad? Have you noticed it being hotter then normal, or taking longer to light up then it used to be?

Yeah, that's a sign that it's getting hot and going bad...it could cause a fire if it gets too hot. Try unplugging the light and see if the tripping stops, if it does then I'd stop using it.

Just to be clear - the question relates to my tank build.

The example relates to an existing wiring of a simple Home Depot fluorescent fixture over my clothes washer. The wiring is such that the line voltage goes to the GFCI outlet and then the light is wired to the line load of the outlet. I've been told by a few folks that the cheap ballast is what's causing the false fault. I'm simply going to re-wire that so that the line voltage heads to the light before the outlet so that the light isn't GFCI protected.

Since I have no choice but to have the light fixture above the tank protected by GFCI I am trying to find out if I'm better off using a GFCI outlet or a GFCI breaker. Sorry for not being more clear up front.

Jim

Cheap ballasts can cause false trips. This is because a GFCI compares the current coming in and the current leaving. Cheap ballasts tend to be magnetic and contain coils of wire. These coils, when they are off, have no magnetic field. Then when they turn on, current rushes in to build up the field. It takes a little bit of time to build up the field. Since the GFCI sees all this current going in, and none coming back, it assumes that there is a ground fault and trips. This can also happen on pumps.

The lights aren't in the water so the GFCI really isn't that important.

But they are near the water. All it takes is a bad connection and you touching the fixture and the water. That is why kitchen counter receptacles are GFCI. The stuff you are using aren't in the water, but you could be.

Thanks. I'm going to interpret BJs comment as - the Home Depot ballast is cheap and causing the problem. You won't have the problem with the ballasts on your expensive lights. ;)

The lights aren't in the water so the GFCI really isn't that important.

Nothing personal but that's just really dangerous advice. As BJ said, a bad connection, or accidentally knocking the lights into the water if they're not suspended, could KILL somebody.

IMHO anything electric such as lights, heaters, power heads, etc. should be plugged into GFCI.

Another safe feature is to have a grounding probe - it's thought to help alleviate any stray electrical current that can lead to fish problems. Another reason is that without one it's "possible", albeit unlikely, for a hot wire from some source to energize the tank and not go to ground. Since the path isn't complete the circuit breaker isn't tripped and neither is the GFCI. A ground probe would complete the electrical path so that can't happen.

My tank is in my living room (an area that normally does not come equipped with GFCIs). When I set it up, I had a friend with electrical experience come over and install a GFCI in the outlet where all my equipment is plugged in. It took him about 10 minutes. If you know someone with those skills, I'd highly recommend getting that done just as a precaution.

Or, if you don't know anyone who can wire a GFCI outlet for you, most of the online retailers (BRS, Aqucave, Drs F-S) all sell GFCI adapters that you can plug into your regular outlet and then plug your tank appliances into the adapter. They come in 5 outlet, 3 outlet, and 1 outlet adapters. I bought 3 of the GFCI adapters for the tank at my office since I couldn't get my office outlets rewired!

Back