feeding mysis shrimp only??

hazelsdad

Reefing newb
I have 2 percular clowns a royal gramma and two large long tentacle anemones in my 40 gal tank.
over last two years i have been feeding them Rods frozen food. The orange packaged one. Fish have done fine but it always seems like what they actually eat out of it isnt much. Pieces seem very small and lots crap they dont eat. I recently switched to PE Mysis shrimp.
The amount of actual shrimp in this frozen food surprised me. Huge full shrimp and barely any extra pieces. Made me think of the difference between steak and a hotdog. The fish have loved it as well have the anemones grabbing whatever the fish dont get in time.
When i told my local fish guy i started using this as my main food source and which i got it from his store when he wasnt there from one of his other employees he scolded me. Saying that its like feeding them candy. and there is no nutritional value in it. to go back to the Rods Food.
I have tried researching and it seems like its a solid food source.
What do you guys think? id love some other peoples experience and suggestions.

He knew what i ment and the girl who i bought from was in back and was looking at him like wtf?? wonder if he gets kickback from rods lol
He also told me not to get rid of power filter i had that he never heard of not having a power filter in a tank. And tank was way better off once i ditched the power filter and just used skimmer and live rock. "his tanks arent using power filters.....hmmmm
Lastly sold me a Condy Anemone and told me my clowns would host it. This was a while ago.
i am thinking third strike.
I havent found one thing about mysis being poor food choice anywhere.

Last edited:
Mysis is a very good food but, you need to mix it up. Your fish can't get all their nutritional needs from one food source, just like you can't.

Get in to a rotation with food. Mysis/Bloodworms/Pellets are all good. For pellets, I use Formula One Pellets as well as Formula Two. Fish love them. But yeah, variety = healthy fish!

And, from what you've said about this LFS I'd say not to trust him as far as you can throw him. The one good thing about the power filters is that you can run carbon in them. Other then that, they aren't really needed.

Good idea on checking here with everyone though! Great group of people with years and years of experience between everyone to try and help! :)

Ah, this is why the wild wild web is great, thanks Al Gore, now you can just google it and find out for yourself. Mixing up food is the best, I do Mysis a couple of days, brine one day and marine cuisine or emerald entrée one day. A lot of people swear by power filters, I was just commenting on another thread, a lot of people I run across in the 3 dimensional world have reef tanks with power filters. Sometimes there are multiple ways to skin a cat, living reefs usually recommends the most efficient way but it doesn't necessarily mean the other way is completely wrong.

Ah, this is why the wild wild web is great, thanks Al Gore, now you can just google it and find out for yourself. Mixing up food is the best, I do Mysis a couple of days, brine one day and marine cuisine or emerald entrée one day. A lot of people swear by power filters, I was just commenting on another thread, a lot of people I run across in the 3 dimensional world have reef tanks with power filters. Sometimes there are multiple ways to skin a cat, living reefs usually recommends the most efficient way but it doesn't necessarily mean the other way is completely wrong.

I know a guy who had successful tanks back in the day. He swears by crushed coral, undergravel filters/sponges, and pc lights, but I believe he used s lot of halides as well.

And feeding flakes the whole time. Just because I field dress my birds different than Joe Blow or clean my fish different than George Castanza, diesnt mean I'm wrong or they're wrong.

Back