Feeding Polyps

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
OMG!! :bounce:

I just used a turkey baster to squirt frozen combo food at one of my frags (2 polyps) and they snagged that sh*t and closed up for dinner. Too cool!!

This is open:
Polype.JPG

Open:
Polypb.JPG

And 20 secondes after squirting frozen combo food at them:
Polypf.JPG

This is the first time I've done that. I've had these polyps for a month. Feel bad for starving them. I'll feed them every day now. For some reason, I was thinking they were filter feaders. Been reading stuff today and found out they DO need to be fed. Hope I fed them the right stuff. :shock: Frozen combo food.

Last edited:
They don't NEED to be fed, but will definitely be happier if you do feed them! My button polyps pick up whatever my fish miss and the powerheads blow into them. It is cool to watch.

Its funny that you get so excited about something I dread every other night.You want some excitement in seeing corals feed,try some sun corals.They will give you all the excitement you can handle.[sarcasm]

Seriously,keep doing what your doing if you want them to grow and multiply rapidly.Don't feed and they will still be fine.

Its funny that you get so excited about something I dread every other night.You want some excitement in seeing corals feed,try some sun corals.They will give you all the excitement you can handle.[sarcasm]

Seriously,keep doing what your doing if you want them to grow and multiply rapidly.Don't feed and they will still be fine.

What can I say? I'm easily entertained. :shock:

I'm getting such a kick out of having a reef. Mine isn't much to look at right now, but I just ordered 8 frags yesterday. Should be here Thursday or Friday.
1st pack:
pack1.jpg

2nd pack:
pack2.jpg

A guy on Reef Sanctuary.

Paid $120 for them. That includes the shipping. He's supposed to ship today--overnight. Should be here tomorrow sometime.

Awesome zoas Rc.
Where is your saler located at?

He's in Palm Bay, Florida

Got the tracking number. They will arrive today. I'm leaving town tomorrow afternoon for a weekend getaway with the family. I will have to acclimate them today and then hope they survive the weekend alone.

If you acclimate them properly, the will be fine alone for the weekend. It may even give them time to relax and adjust, so by the time you get home, they'll be all rested and opened up :).

I haven't finished cycling my QT tank yet. And I have no light for it.

I'm going to have to place them straight into the DT after acclimation.

I'm worried about disease and parasites. I have Reef Dip here at the house. How do I dip them?

EDIT:
I just talked to the shipper. He said that he has TONS of frags, so he has a HUGE investment to look after. He said the frags have all been dipped before they go into his tanks and that he's never had any type of bugs or parasites. He told me that the frags I'm getting have all been in his tanks for years. He said to just acclimate them for about an hour and put them in my tank. He was really cool and assured me not to worry about bugs coming in on his corals. He said that he'd be out thousands of dollars if his tank got bugs and he started loosing livestock. I am not normally very trusting, but he seamed sincere and like he knew what he was talking about.

Should I risk it?

Last edited:
Back