feeding

315hottuna61

" Take a Kid Fishing "
would like some input on correct feeding ( royal gramma , pj cardinal ). I'm just keeping the two small fish as of now . I am feeding them a small amount of mysis twice a day, but i know that i should mix it up a little . Thanks

Definitely mix it up. Mysis is better than brine, but you really should add some variety in there. New Life Spectrum makes a great pellet food, but you could also do Formula I or II, or Prime Reef frozen. I'm not sure about the Gramma, (I dont have one) but the cardinals are more of a carnivore, but mine will eat just about anything I throw in the tank. Experiment a little and see what your particular fish eat

I feed a mix of New Life Spectrum, Formula II, Prime Reef, and a frozen food made by a local reefer that has pretty much everything imaginable in it

A great place for a variety of reasonably priced frozen foods is Petco if there is one near you that does saltwater (not all of them do(

Thanks North, I will take your advise for sure. The gramma is a carnivore also ,but like the cardinal eats slowly ( must take them a while to digest)

I feed Sally's frozen cubes to my guys. They sell a pack with 4 different varieties and I have yet to have any of my fish turn down food. Even my new FF likes it all! I don't have either of the fish you have, but mine do vary from carnivores to herbivores / omnivores. Sally's is also sold at most of the big box pet stores so its convenient. With your two fish, as I am a habitual OVER feeder, I would suggest a 1/4 cube. (I have cut way back on MY feeding though. :) )

Thanks , I have alot of tools but i'm not sure what Plomb WF 's are ( i guess that means i don't have any -Duh). I will try some Sallys

Welcome Stephanie, you will get good advice here, ask and you shall receive. The Sallys variety pack works well. my fish tear up the frozen mysis - but like most people say - you need a variety.

I used to feed every day, now I feed every other day. I do a mixture of mysis, pellets and some sinking pellets I tried for fun and everyone LOVES!!!

Rod's Food, Emerald Entree, Flying Fish Roe, Carnivore Diet. Look in the freezer at your LFS, they should have a variety of frozen foods you can mix up.

Stay away from frozen mysis, and brine unless you are target feeding your coral.

HI. I'm totally Newbie -both here and as a aquarist- and any help would be greatly appreciated :) I have a 300litr saltwater aquarium with live rocks and here are fishes I have: a Maroon clown & also a tomato, a blue tang and one white cheek surgeon, a longnose butterfly & - yeah, I'm aware of my confidence! :D - a spotted sweetlips, too. so as a friend advised me, I use frozen Artemia & Tetra granules for feeding them. they eat fairly well except the butterfly which prefers searching on the rocks & the sweetlips which also mostly likes to taste the sands and rocks!

so here's my question. is there any thing else I should do to feed them? and how often should I do that? Overall is there any special considerations? thank you in advance.

300 ltr is about 80 gallons if I remember correctly. Too small for a Tang.

Sorry I can't help with the feeding question. Not trying to be negative or anything!

Okay, now that I have gone back and read the thread again......

If you can get frozen foods there, use them. Make sure you rinse them well with RO water after you thaw them. I thaw mine in tank water, dump it into my net and rinse, then dump into the tank. I have 9 fish and several corals and use one cube daily. (Thawing right now as a matter of fact!) Mix up what you are feeding them. I use a multi pack. It has cubes of Mysis, brine, squid and various veggie types. All of my fish eat every variety. My FoxFace LOVES the squid!

If you don't have frozen, you might want to soak the dry in a little tank water for a few minutes prior to putting it in the tank. I feed my Corals phytoplan every 3rd day. Rinsing the food with HELP keep nitrates out of the tank. It wont eliminate them, but it will HELP.

Oh, I see. I was guessing the same about the whitecheek because of its size. do you know what are the effects? I think I'll miss it!

but for the blue tang, I've searched many websites and most of them mentioned the minimum of 285 liter, like this. I thought there would be no problem.

thanks for the tips, especially the one for lowering nitrate, that was my problem. I will definitely use the multi pack.

Last edited:
Back