File fish caught in net

eeninja

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to saltwater, and I just got my first file fish.

I brought him home, and, after acclimating, attempted to transfer him to the tank. (I'm sure that some of you can see where this is going...)

I used a net, and his file got stuck in the net. I couldn't figure out how to free it, so I ended up cutting the net.

Now, he seems relatively unconcerned that he has a small piece of net stuck to him. I'm trying to figure out what to do about it, if anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

Hello and welcome the site...well, since you already cut the net, allow him to try to get it off himself, if he can't, you're gonna have to catch him and manually remove it...good luck!

+1 Smitty
But before you try to net him again,get a net thats made of extremely fine mesh.That way he wont just get caught again.
And welcome aboard.Were happy to have you here.
Now how about some pictures of that file fish.:D

I'm assuming it is a very small piece that is still attached to him?

Yes, it's pretty small... about 3/4" x 1/4".

He hasn't managed to work it free yet. Any ideas about how long I should leave him to his own devices?

If the time comes, does anyone have any suggestions for removing it without hurting him? He wasn't terribly enthusiastic when I was trying to remove him from the net earlier.

And here he is:
2010-02-07%2022.43.32.jpg

Last edited:
HAHAHA
It does look kinda funny.:D But I'd be worried about it snagging in somethiing in the rock.
If he dont get it off in the next couple of days,then catch him.Then take a small pair of scissors and trim it off as close to the file as possible.You may even be able to work it loose with some twezzers.

Back