Finally, getting my 75 gallon started

thanks for all the compliments, we had a little problem with the green zoa. when we got home tonight it had fallen from its rock and was laying on it's side on the substrate. i thought it was glued down with superglue gel, but apparently the rock under it was too knobby to grip it good. it is now attached with epoxy and looks to be sturdy again. the funny thing is it sat like that for 2 weeks without falling. maybe a crab knocked it of something.

Anyway, we got a little hair algea and i we wanted to take care of it before is became a problem. what should we get to eat it? there are two fairly big patches on the back glass and a small area on the substrate that have it pretty bad. recommendations? the LFS has a couple of very small sea hares that might be an option, but i've heard they'll eat it all then starve, is this true?

we also have some rocks that have really fine redish hair looking stuff growing off of them. they grow out of the points on the knobs of the rock and are just really fine small hairs. i'll have to get some close up pics next chance i get, but they were on the rock when we got it and i don't think they've spread, but it isn't being eaten either.

I would go to your LFS and buy a sea hare if they say you can return it once it's cleaned up your tank. It's true that it will starve quickly once it runs out of algae, but if you can bring it back to the store or pass it on to another reefer, that problem is solved. Second to sea hares are Mexican turbo snails. If you don't already have some, buy 3 or 4 and hopefully they'll take care of the algae for you.

we do have some turbos, (I think 6) but they don't seem to be keeping up with it. Looks like we'll be looking into the sea hare! Does anyone know off the top of their head the policy on returning animals for Aquarium Adventure or Phishy Business?

thanks! turns out none of our LFS's will do store credit for live animals. They'll take them back but at our loss. I would hate to spend the $20 for the sea hare knowing I would just have to let it die or give it up for nothing! Sounds like the snails will be our best bet.

well, just a little update. we got the algea under control. we started a phosphate reactor and have been running that for about 3 weeks maybe a month and picking out the large pieces when ever we have the lights and egg crate off and the only stuff that is left of the hair algea is a real thin coat on the back glass that the snails are starting to eat and it's slowly getting replaced by coraline.

our live stock list is still fairly small, but we just got some new corals and hopefully we'll get some pictures up tonight when we get home

for fish we've currently on got 3 chromis and a clown
we had one clown mysteriously die the 3rd day we had him one diamond goby jump out and our most recent death was our foxface, he had a run in with one of the powerheads and didn't make it after that.

as far as corals go we've had a lot better luck in not losing a single one so far. we started with a xenia and two different zoa frags and they are doing very well. we then added a frog spawn and some mushrooms. then last night our local coral farm www.Reefsystems.com was having a coral sale and we picked up a palyathoa frag, an acro, and i think the last one is a monti cap, but i'm not sure. with any luck we'll have some pics up tonight.

Well, here are some pics. i'll get a FTS tomorrow, but i think i got pics of just about everything with all the lights and just the actinics.

ACRO.jpg

acroact.jpg

Frogspawn.jpg

FROGACT.jpg

Leather.jpg

ZOAact.jpg

ZOA.jpg

Monti.jpg

MUSH.jpg

PALY.jpg

palyact.jpg

sorry for the lack of Descriptions, we're going to bed.

Dude. I have all 3 types of zoas that you have -- the orange ones, the yellow skirts with pink mouths and those fluffy pink ones. Weird.

Thanks for all the compliments.
That is weird that we would have all the same zoas, great minds do think alike though.

i have a few concerns about the acro and the monti. the guy we got them from keeps all his frags in a green house so they mostly get just sun with metal halides to supliment if it's cloudy. so they don't really see any actinic light. in one of his display tanks he has some of the monti that we bought and his is very green. ours, as you can see is pretty yellow. should it color up with time? the acro is kind of the same way. you can't tell from the pics, but its got bluish purple tips on each stalk, but the rest is brownish red.

we're checking our parameters tonight and i'll try to get a full tank shot for those interested, but we're having some company over so it might not get done.

They may go back to their original colors, or they may not. SPS will change colors depending on the lighting and water parameters. Sometimes they'll surprise you and turn a whole new color.

well, i thought i finally better update this thing. we've rearranged some stuff since the last set of pictures. the only real additions have been a purple long tentacle anemone, a royal gramma, a marine betta, and a clam. i've also added a phospate reactor and upgraded to mag 7 return pump. i'll post some equipment pics after christmas, because we are hopefully getting a gift certificate for a vortech MP40. then, a little farther down the road possibly a new skimmer. well, on to the up dated pics. i don't have a whole lot cause i didn't get out the tri-pod and i'm a little shaky.

here we have our royal gramma, false perc clown, the anemone is in the lower left and our tuxedo urcin is in the upper right. the view from the right side.
rightside.jpg

here's another one of the royal gramma, the clam in the back ground(these pics don't do the clam justice at all. it is a bright rich blue that i just couldn't get. next time i have the flow off i may try a top down), our open brain on the substrate and the frog spawn on the left. the view from the left side.
leftside.jpg

heres the only full tank shot that wasn't completely shakey
FTSactinic.jpg

here's the best shot i could get of the betta. he's still pretty shy
betta.jpg

these last two shots are just close ups of the anemone this first one is from the front of the tank
anemone2.jpg

And this one is from the right side
anemone.jpg

Back