Finally got new bulb, now what?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
So I finally got my bulb in today. It's a 14K, 250 watt pendant MH. I'm changing from a 10K bulb that was at least a year, probably 2-3 years old.

Quick questions for you. When I put the bulb in and switched on the ballast it made all sorts of clanking noises. Any ideas? It continued to tick for a little bit, but when the bulb finally fired, it stopped.

Do I need to acclimate the tank to the new light by cutting back on my hours? Today the old 10K bulb ran for 9 hours. If so, what's the procedure for that?

There probably isn't much difference, PAR wise, between a 2-3 yr old 10k bulb and a new 14k bulb. You probably don't need to change anything, but you can drop the time the lights are on by 2 hrs (1 hr longer before they come on and 1 hr shorter before they go out) and gradually increase that by 15 mins/day till you are back on a full lighting schedule.

Thanks guys.

Something else I was wondering..I thought the higher the kelvin, the more blue. This light looks really really yellow. Kinda disappointed because it drowns out the colors of all the corals. I'm thinking that overtime the corals will change their colors and look better, is that right?

Last edited:
Your correct the the higher kelvin it is more blue, all manufacturers are different for example and SPS 20k will seem more yellow then a 20k made by reeflux, reeflux uses higher quality material.

Also most bulbs need to burn in some will take up to a week before you see their true colors.

As far as your corals looking better under that light, thats preferrance some corals look best under 10k some look best under 20k.

Your correct the the higher kelvin it is more blue, all manufacturers are different for example and SPS 20k will seem more yellow then a 20k made by reeflux, reeflux uses higher quality material.

Also most bulbs need to burn in some will take up to a week before you see their true colors.

As far as your corals looking better under that light, thats preferrance some corals look best under 10k some look best under 20k.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Winy and the light has gotten less yellow from this morning. The bulb manufacturer is Ushio, is that a good brand? Overall it still has decreased the appeared colors of everything, but hopefully it'll get a little bit better overtime..that or I'll just get used to it. It also doesn't seem near as bright.

From what I've read and heard,Ushio is supposed to be one of the better bulbs on the market.It'll probably just take it a couple of days for the true color to show.
I also noticed that my HQIs didnt seem as bright as the T-5s I ran.But my corals sure love the HQIs.I'm burning 14K Phoenix 250 watters,which gives the tank just a hint of blue,but the corals colors come out a whole lot better.

+1 yote... Ive not used Ushio but have friends that do and they love them. I run Reeflux 12k, I have been happy with them.

Your corals will adjust and start doing much better.

Back