Finishing stocking...

lurningboutreefs

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gallon setup with about 90 lbs of rock and a Coralife 65G protein skimmer.

I am looking to add the final fish in the next few months.

I currently have 1 orange clown (sadly, the other jumped out last night), 1 lawnmower blenny, and 1 domino damsel.

1) I would like to replace the jumper clownfish with another clownfish. I would really like to buy one of the black clownfish. What is the possibility of getting another clownfish to work well with the widowed clownfish. The clownfish that is left is relatively small.

2) I would like to end up with 5 or 6 fish total. Is that too much of a load on my tank? I would like either a Coral Beauty of Flame Angel or both? What do you think?

Thank you for taking time to help.

I would keep the limit at 5 until the tank has chance to settle out and mature, then you can add a couple more.

If you do add another clown fish, i would add one much bigger or much smaller than the one you have now. And you would be fine adding a black one as long as you have the standard clown fish variety.

And sadly, the dwarf angels are full of fight and you can only go one per tank, but either choice would look amazing in your tank.

I am assuming you have one of these two types of clownfish
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish
which are compatible with these guys:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish - Tank-Bred
Because one of the above is the same species as the black and white, the other is very close to being the same species. But if you had one of the types of clownfish below, they wouldnt get along because the species are too different.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Clarkii Clownfish - Tank-Bred
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Tomato Clownfish
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Pink Skunk Clownfish
Maroon Clownfish

Thank you very much for your clarification. I do have one of the regular orange clownfish and not the clarkii, tomato, etc.

You are a huge help.

Anybody have any thoughts on which of the dwarf angels they like the best?

Dont go for the potters, i think they need large tanks to do well that are well matured and have lots of rock. Not a good choice for a beginner

Dont go for the potters, i think they need large tanks to do well that are well matured and have lots of rock. Not a good choice for a beginner

This +1,000,000. I should not have led you a stray. I would NOT advise putting a Potter's in a 55. They are a very delicate fish, and need lots, and lots, and lots of swimming room and live rock.

You asked a question and I answered it honestly - even though my choice would not work in your tank :(

Potters is now out. Thank you!

That Spotbreast Angelfish (female) is beautiful! Good call.

I have two frontrunners now - a Flame Angel and a Spotbreast Angelfish.

I really love my Flameback Angel. One of the most reef-safe of the dwarf angels, and more likely than most centropyge species to get along with another centropyge, should you want to add two angels............

Back