Firefish Hiding?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
My two firefish have been out and swimming together since sunday, eating well and having a blast. Today the lights come on, and only one firefish! I was really worried at first, thinking "oh, no! Not another one!" But I just saw the other half of the pair hiding in a cave near the Lagoon, sitting on the sandbed at the bottom of the cave. Whew! I'm still a little worried, as this is somewhat different from the behavior I've seen for the last few days. The only other occupants of the tank are a nano blenny that's been curious but not in any way aggressive, and Lily the other firefish, so I don't think he's getting bullied. No ichy spots, and been eating for the last couple days. Anyone know what's doing? Why would James be hiding?

I wouldn't worry about that. I've had a firefish for a while now and thats pretty much what he does. He comes out mostly when the light is on and swims circles around my clownfish but then he's much more lethargic when it's dark. The whole sitting on the sandbed worried me at first too but it seems like he just feels safe that way.

If you notice him swimming a lot less and not attempting to eat then I would be nervous...I still watch him a lot closer than I do my clownfish but that's just because he's the baby of the tank. That is just my experience though so if anyone else has some more insight then please chime in. =)

Was it right after lights coming on? If so, maybe he is still sleeping and not realizing the lights came on since his head is buried in the rock. I would still keep an eye on him though since it is out of character for him.

It has been a couple hours now since the lights came on, and still hiding. He's actually deeper in the rocks now than he was when he was in the cave I saw him in. When I did see him, he wasn't gasping or struggling or anything, just not keeping Lily company like he has been. I'm certainly going to be keeping my eye on the situation. Maybe now that they've been reunited for a couple days, James is feeling a little more comfortable with the situation and not feeling the need to stay glued to Lily's side.

Here he is hiding and looking rather grumpy. Perhaps he just woke up on the wrong side of the tank?

IMG_0899.jpg

He must be in a funk. He hasn't come out all day, even during dinner. Nope, he didn't eat today. Still not really worried, since I know our fish can go a couple days without food, but if this continues I will be.

yeah i have a couple of firefish and sometimes they are both together swimming around and sometimes one or both go missing for days went through a week without seeing one of them so i wouldnt worry to much !!!

we had a firefish in our bowfront for a while, to this day I have no idea what happened to him... good luck with yours.

Well, I'm not really sure. I haven't seen him in two days. I'm really quite worried at this point. I've tried soaking some mysis in garlic, but to no avail. Lily, on the other hand, is eating like a little pig. She devours pretty much everything I put in the tank to entice James out of hiding. In fact, she's eating so much she's starting to look preggers!

So essentially, I'm hoping that James is just being bashful and hiding in the rocks, eating pods and algae and such while his counterpart pigs out on all the yummies I'm putting in the tank for him. If I don't see him for a couple weeks, I think I'm going to give up hope. At that point, if he hasn't shown his little face, I may try to add another firefish. Or I may not. Lily seems to be doing fine on her own. I just don't know. But I haven't given up hope yet. All the stories about firefish hiding for weeks on end has given me hope that he is doing well and just being stubborn.

Something doesn't sound right to me especially if the fish is not eating. Any particular sign or growth which you can observe showing on its body? I hope he's okay. I can understand how it is like being a parent.

Back