first build. bow front. need critique

banthonyb71

Reefing newb
This is a total new hobbie for me. As of 3 week ago I knew 0% about Saltwater reef aquariums. I have been studing like midterm exam ever since. Sooooooo much to learn. Heres what I got so far. about 60 ibslive rock and a few clean up crew members. My water has been cycling for 3 weeks and I have been adding Live rock and dry rock here and there.. So as of now Im just learning as must a possible about buying and aquascaping live rock. All pointers on this needed and welcomed. thanks

I have a few pieces of Florida and Pohnpei base and some Fiji. (although I was told Pohnpei and Fiji may be the same thing)???
I got some epoxy because I wanted to do some shelves
epoxy.jpg

I had two shelves cut out of large pieces of Pohnpei. I glued one shelve to this Large Pohnpei rock
shelf.jpg

I then glued another piece of Pohnpei together to form a bridge between the two.
intankout-1.jpg

Meanwhile I set a couple pieces of live Fiji in until I did some aquascaping
intankwet.jpg

Here is the side shot of what the shelving looked liked. The bottom piece isnt glued rather resting on top of a piece of Fiji
intankwet2.jpg

I wanted to give the impretion of steps with the shelves.
intankside.jpg

This is from the front with two tunnels underneath and two arches over top. (although I assume the archin probably will have to go once I get larger corals?
after.jpg

Well there is my first aquascape.
Before
tanknoflash1.jpg

and after
after.jpg

Nice aquascaping so far!! I like your work with the shelves. The arches may not have to go when you're ready for coral, you'll just have to be conscience of which corals you put where, depending on their individual lighting and flow requirements. You're off to a great start!

Thanks a bunch guys. I do want to do a black background with window tint however my tank is already set up. and the location where it sits it's hard to get behind it.

Buy a shower curtain in whatever color/pattern you'd like your background to be, then cut it to fit and attach it to the back of the tank. That will work for a background. And next time, just use a can of spray paint. It works the best for painting the back of the tank and will only cost you a buck or two.

It has been 2 1/2 months since I started my first Reef Tank. I have an abundant amount from 3reef.

Here are some of the corals I have added since then

Neon Ricordea, Branching Hammer, Sinularia,Frogspawn, last pic is cabbage leather, I also have a rock of green zoas

Tank looks nice as do the corals. Looks like you got some algae growing on the LR. How's your CUC? Might need to add some more snails and hermits to take care of it.

How's your lighting schedule and feeding? If you overfeed it can cause algae growth and if you have the lights on too long. How old are your bulbs?

Back