Fishing for Damsels???

NewPortRichey

Sushi Anyone????????????
Well, the day has come when I realized just how aggressive my two damsels are. They gave my fire angel a good run for his money last night. He's currently residing in my fuge. However, the two damsels are still in the display. I've heard I can actually go fishing for them with a small enough hook. Anyone know what I should use for bait? I've also heard that someone made a trap for them out of a 2 liter coke bottle. Anyone ever heard of these or anything else that doesn't involve dismantling my rocks???

I've never used the traps(there not as much fun),But I have used a hook.
The best thing is the smallest fly fishing lure you can find.Try to get one that looks like a small shrimp.
Tie on a piece of 2 pond test fly line,drop a pinch or 2 of mysis shrimp in along with the fly and hook em up.

I have had luck dropping the net into the tank with food inside, facing the net into a powerhead to keep the food pushed into the back of the net. the fish enter the net to feed and you snatch them up, followed by placing them into a plastic bag and bashing them onto the cement outside your place....but that is just my personal flare

-Dr Marco :sfish:

thanks yote and doc. i believe that, when i capture these little ba$tards, they are going over to my friends house. his eel will make short work of them. aaaahahhhh, this should make for an interesting evening.

The smallest fly fishing hook is a #32. Good luck finding that.

A #24 or #26 will do the job if you decide to hook them.

I traded my DAMNsel in at the LFS for $3 credit. I would have been much more satisfied to put it in a plastic bag and give it the Dr. Marco treatment, considering I blame it for the disappearence of my precisous 6-line wrasse.

I've used the bottle trap, to catch damsels, hawks, clowns, etc.

the net with food works to but I've only used that to catch my eel, and puffer.

make sure the bottle is clear cut the top off (the cone part) turn it up side down and put inside the bottle put some nice smelly food inside and put in tank. Preferably don't feed the fish for a few days so they are hungry.

I can see it now:
There's gonna be a run on eel sales at LFS all around the country, just so people can get rid of their stupid DAMNsel they bought to cycle the tank. :mrgreen:

ok, the eel works, anyone want a eel? cheap? almost as cheap as the damsels? just kidding. i tried the net thing tonight with food in it. the little $hits weren't fooled. i'll be back to it in the morning. sigh.

I'm going to open an online fish store, but I won't sell anything. I'll just rent eels by the week. $10 a week and the user pays all shipping. :mrgreen:

I am gonna buy a LARGER lionfish !
I had transferd my fish out of my 20 tall. forgot about the damsels in the display... they bullied up on the saddle he dosn't look so hot ! G@& D%$#@ I cant win!

The Blue regal ( the one fish in my tank that should be DEAD) Is still alive and kickin' go figure !

sigh, these damsels are killing me. i've tried fishing, with no luck! the other fish are easy to catch. i've narrowly missed my tangs and clown several times. i don't know what i'm going to do. :-(

load up the syringe full of salt and water paste and blast them. Burns out their gills - just don't hit the other fish. Watch to make sure you don't raise your salinity too high.

load up the syringe full of salt and water paste and blast them. Burns out their gills - just don't hit the other fish. Watch to make sure you don't raise your salinity too high.

thanks doc. i don't think that will work for me tho. i've got a 125 gallon and loads of liverock and they're contstantly in there. i think i'm Fkd unless someone can help me out with this trap thing.......

Back