Flame Angel vs SPS

Ulta

REEFER
So last time I was home, about 3 weeks ago, I added a new Flame Angel to my tank! :D
I was super excited to finally get one and have him doing GREAT in my tank!

But this time when I got home from work (been gone since the 4th) I noticed that all my SPS are not extending their polyps. However they all have good color and even some decent growth. And all the other corals are doing just fine. My Monti's, Porcillopora, and birdsnest however are not extending their polyps. The shaggy Millepora is doing fine, idk if he can even retract that stuff...

After observing the tank for a while I think I know the reason for the SPS polyps being retracted. The Flame Angel just goes around the tank "picking" all day... literrally. He will pick the rock, rip off a piece of hair algae, and yes even pick at the sps branches. ALL DAY. I'm sure this is what is causing the SPS polyps to retract. I'm thinking he doesnt recognise the small SPS polyps as coral and prolly nips at them thinking algae?? He never touches any of the LPS or Zoas... My question is will this kill the SPS? Hes been in there a few weeks already and they are still full of color and look healthy, just their polyps are not extending out :/

Does any1 else have a Flame Angel with SPS? Advise?

All angelfish are prone to eating corals. Did you do any research on the fish before getting it? Research is always the best thing to do before buying anything in this hobby whether it'd be fish or equipment.

You just have to decide if you want corals or the fish.

no matter how much research, you cant be sure on flame angels. They have a 50/50 chance of being a pest to sps and other corals.

You unfortunately got a naughty one and will probably lose some sps if you dont return him.

Im sorry :( they are truly gorgeous fish

Are Coral Beauties as bad as Flames? I'm debating back and forth between the two species, but I do want to have corals as well. I know all Angels will partake occasionally, but which ones are the least likely to pester the corals to death?

That's exactlly why I was scared to get one. I'm no sps expert but, I do know that extended polyps are a form of feeding for all corals that have them showing. If they can't feed then they will eventually stress or even die.I say get him out & go get a fish that will play nice. There's no need for the whole community to suffer just for one new addition. Besides, your chances are 50/50 so buy another one later(if you just have to have one). Good Luck

I've had 2 coral beauties. The first one for 2 years. no problems with SPS or other corals. The second one for 5 years. Still no problems. Sadly he just died suddenly a couple weeks ago. I think coral beauties are easier to keep then flames also.

The Flame I had, never touched a coral. Until I started adding SPS. It wouldn't leave them alone no matter what I tryed. Which is why I went fishing in the tank and caught it's orange ass out and traded it.

Back