Forum upgrade in progess

if you have a storm, there is a program called Capture it that you can get here I use it all the time!
Im using a different program. just had to get a couple things sorted out. its called bbscreenshooter

anyways here are the pics. it takes almost 2 full screens just to read one post. its totally different than how it used to be. i really wish i could show a screen shot of the old forum style.

bbscreenbiff1.jpg

bbscreenbiff2.jpg

btw no iphone for me now. im a blackberry man! along with the majority of the country and people worldwide!

I really miss the "Reef Talk" board that was the lifeblood of this forum, it was were we all congregated for the bulk of the discussion on this site. Everything looks wonderful Ian.

i like it ian but one question, i noticed you changed the amount of PMs your allowed to have from 1000 to just 100, is that a permanent fix?

Yep it is for now as I've needed to find ways to keep resource usage under control as the site grows - but it's also now one of the advantages of a living reefs supporter as they get 1000 PMs and can use images in sigs.

Ian, I love the way it looks on the computer the upgrade looks wonderful! however on a pda it looks worse than it did before.

I've only checked it on an iPhone, but now that I've got some screenshots I'll try to make a PDA-only version of this skin that is much lighter to load. Did the old version work ok on PDAs?

I really miss the "Reef Talk" board that was the lifeblood of this forum, it was were we all congregated for the bulk of the discussion on this site. Everything looks wonderful Ian.

Yeah the Reef Talk board was part of the reason for the change - because everything started to go in that forum and the other sections were really quiet. There were lots of topics that could have gone in things like the Fish/Corals/Inverts/Disease sections but were in Reef Talk so it makes it hard for new users to find things. I'm fully confident that after a few days people will get used to the new design and start using the new forum sections :)

Yep it is for now as I've needed to find ways to keep resource usage under control as the site grows - but it's also now one of the advantages of a living reefs supporter as they get 1000 PMs and can use images in sigs.

I've only checked it on an iPhone, but now that I've got some screenshots I'll try to make a PDA-only version of this skin that is much lighter to load. Did the old version work ok on PDAs?

Yeah the Reef Talk board was part of the reason for the change - because everything started to go in that forum and the other sections were really quiet. There were lots of topics that could have gone in things like the Fish/Corals/Inverts/Disease sections but were in Reef Talk so it makes it hard for new users to find things. I'm fully confident that after a few days people will get used to the new design and start using the new forum sections :)

The old one worked OK. Not great though. The layout has seemed to progressively get less friendly with PDA phones. The orange format before the major overhaul worked the best, then the last one worked better than the current one. I had no idea you could ceate a mobile version for the forum without going through a huge headache to achieve this. I would be happy to try out any suggestions or work with you to get it working well on mobile html browsers. Such amazing efforts for us are enough to make me give a little "support" even more than an annual* basis. :mrgreen: Thank Ian that’s really good news.

Iam the only other thing that I see is that Alexander lost his "Community Director" badge. I sure it makes him sad :(

Site looks awesome!

couple suggestions....

1. Can we finally make the pages longer in each thread so they show at least twice as many posts per page? I find it much easier to scroll down a page using the wheel on my mouse, rather than having to click through multiple pages.

2. When viewing "new posts", it no longer shows the column that says what forum each thread is in. I miss that. I don't know why.

3. Screw Crackberries. The almighty iPhone is all you need to worry about. :mrgreen:

Site looks awesome!

couple suggestions....

1. Can we finally make the pages longer in each thread so they show at least twice as many posts per page? I find it much easier to scroll down a page using the wheel on my mouse, rather than having to click through multiple pages.

2. When viewing "new posts", it no longer shows the column that says what forum each thread is in. I miss that. I don't know why.

3. Screw Crackberries. The almighty iPhone is all you need to worry about. :mrgreen:

Agree with all three! DITTO!

I don't think that was ever missing. That's how I move threads to different forums if they're in the wrong place, and the current location has always been listed on the right side.

I think you're just going crazy.

Last edited:
Back