Fowlr 101

RFD

Reefing newb
I am setting up a 40 gal sump for a 120 gallon FOLWR - I was told that I should use Bio- balls in the sump because if I need to medicate the tank the medication will affect the live rock and sand diminishing filtration. But if i use Bio balls they will retain bacteria and allow the tank to recycle the bacteria and strengthen the filtration. So I intend to have one tube from my overflow box drain into the sock. One tube flow over the bio balls. the water will then travel over the baffles into the chamber that holds my skimmer and my return pump!

Does this sound correct - suggestions.

RFD

Rich,In a DIY sump,you don't need those bio-balls.
FOWLR has the LR part for a reason,the live rock.And you never want to medicate your display any way,weather its a FOWLR,FO,or Reef,it don't matter.
90% of the meds thats used to treat fish are going to effect the bacteria,weather its bio-balls or live rock,makes no difference,your still going to loose biological filtration.Thats what a quarantine tanks for.

Thanks Yote- I took the night off from setting up the tank- i'll get in touch with you when i start over- now I'm just trying to get sand and rock- you like that Marco rock?

Thats cool.Feel free to give me a holler anytime.Even if its just to shoot the :pooh: :D
On that Marco Rock,after seeing some at the frag swap this past weekend,yeah,I like it.Thats some good looking rock.

yote is absolutely right! Don't use any meds in your tank including the reef safe ones. It totally throws everything off and they don't work very well. I have wiped out my whole tank before.

Back