FOWLR 220g

ReelNorth

Reefing newb
Ok, I am going to start with fish only, which was my original plan anyway.

I would very much like to get a humuhumu (picasso) trigger - they are by far my fave of any fish.

I had a question about compatible fish with him. I also like the butterfly fish with the long dorsal.

Of course I also like tangs etc. What would be recommended to go with the trigger?

Sump will be a 75g, 1200 gph
tank is a 220

butterflies are not a good tankmate for triggs.Tangs are good ,angels are good and other triggs.In a 220 you have lots of options.I currently have a humu trigg,a clown trigg,and an angel together ...you could look at puffers too,i personally don't like them,but they would go fine with triggers too..

cant say I love puffers (yet lol)

So I guess I could do a humuhumu, blue throat, or whatever triggers, I guess as long it isnt a queen trigger (I know they are monsters)

Thanks for the reply

Maybe list:

picasso trigger or blue throat

Nasso tang

snowflake eel

Koran Angel

Longnose Hawk

Foxface

Emperor Angel

sailfin tang

Not bad,but may need alittle tweaking.What is your tanks footprint?2 angels together could cause problems(even in a 500- gal)It has been done though.....An emp is awesome looking ,but a bit more difficult than a koran...
Naso's can get HUGE...Both triggs the eel,foxface and sailfin ,and 1 angel would work ,IMO.
To me i prefer to see alot of room for the big fish to swim,rather than lots of big fish bumping into eachother...220 is a big tank,but these are some big fish too.
Good luck
Is this tank up and running and cycled??

Tank is NOT setup yet. I am getting it drilled in the next week or so, and then Putting in 150 lbs of dry Marco rock with 30-50 lbs live rock. i will feed it to cycle (dead shrimp), and spread the algae to the new dry rocks. I will then get the sump going after the main tank has cycled.

Sump is a 75g DIY with Fuge. Will be skimming

Tank footprint is 72x24x30h

Substrate is crushed aragonite (fine), I will try to make as many caves and "points of interest" for the fish as I can.

Very exciting time is approaching for the "build"

The list is the fish I like. They dont all have to go in.

The only thing I can see wrong with your stock list,is the Emperor and the Koran.
You can just about bet that they'll fight until one if not both are dead.
Other than that,Go for it.:D

With the emperor & Koran, definitely either/or. Not sure on the snowflake either. As I research more and more about eels, they use up a disproportionate level of the available bio load.

I do really like the tangs, like the blonde naso, powder blue and sailfin.

triggers are the picasso and/or blue throat

Angels I like the emperor or koran

The the foxface of course, and the howkfish.

Tangs are good as long as they dont look the same, right?

Go slow on getting an angel....I don't think an angel will be ready to thrive in a newly set up system(a koran may be alittle easier in adapting to a newer set-up).Triggs and tangs should do ok,but angels need a very stable well balanced system..Tangs of different shapes and colors usually get along if added together,but every fish is different.

I always thought 220 were 7 feet long.Hmm,guess i was wrong.Good luck,cant wait to see a pic.Let us know how things are coming along.

Last edited:
I think you have a good stocking list. But I'd be hesitant to put a powder tang in there -- blue or brown. They are pretty sensitive. In an aggressive tank, you should stick with hardier tangs that won't be as easily stressed.

clown tang is a good tang for aggresive tanks. as you probably already know put the least aggresive and smaller fish in 1st. another somewhat hardy angel is the majaestic angel. they tend to stay a bit smaller than most large angels. ...... 220 is a great size for a fowlr, it really allows you to keep most fish.

I wouldn't recommend a clown tang. They are nearly impossible to keep in captivity. Most of them rarely live longer than a month or two in our tanks. People haven't quite figured out what they need to survive.

With the emperor & Koran, definitely either/or. Not sure on the snowflake either. As I research more and more about eels, they use up a disproportionate level of the available bio load.

I do really like the tangs, like the blonde naso, powder blue and sailfin.

triggers are the picasso and/or blue throat

Angels I like the emperor or koran

The the foxface of course, and the howkfish.

Tangs are good as long as they dont look the same, right?
Ok you have about the same size tank I do so your possabilities are huge.. First if you want to gettangs of any kind be sure to add the together or rik them fighting and killing one another. i have a Powder brown, regal blue sailfin, and a vlamingi tang all in the same tank. But i did 2 of them at the same time and had to keep taking the vlamingi out of the tank for about 2 weeks cause he was so aggressive. the emperiter and the koran are almost identical as juvinels so they would probably kill one or the other or both as yote said.You would more then likely have to add all the triggers at the same time to or risk a huge fight. That is the onlty bad thing with having a big tank alot of possabilities but the pairings are tough to make happen Good luck:Cheers:

I am gonna have to agree with Biff. I have tried twice and the longest I kept mine alive for was for 3 months and then it just died for no reason .:frustrat:

Back