FOWLR missing the FO - Planning for tank mates

Noob, as far as powerheads, you're aiming for 10-20x the tank volume in turnover each hour. So for a 58 gallon, you're looking for anywhere from 580-1160 gph. A very common saying is 'as long as your sand isnt in suspension, you dont have too much flow'

I currently have a flow of roughly 5500 gph in my 180

I'm starting to get a bad case of the "Jones" to get some fish. I must maintain my diligence in remaining patient. That's the difficult part! I think my tank should complete it's cycle by next weekend - keeping my fingers crossed.

Must admit that I cheated and bought 2 little electric blue hermit crabs. Wanted some type of life form to stare at other than my live rock. Trust me - I've stared at my live rock for hours on in... lol... Is that odd?

So far I have:

1 - turbo snail
2 - blue legged hermit crabs (originally had 3 but missing 1 after aquascaping)
2 - electric blue hermit crabs

I asked the guys at the lfs and they recommend I have about 20 blue legged hermits as my CUC. Does that sound about right?

I'd like a combination of snails, crabs and shrimp. Any recommendations y'all can provide is most appreciated.

Anyone have luck with peppermint shrimp cleaning up aptaisia? I have a handful off my live rock and don't want them to get out of hand. Should I try to get rid of as much as I can before I add fish? I've been reading different methods just not sure I'm quick enough to inject them, those boogers retract pretty fast. I don't want to take my live rock out of the tank because I have so much growth on them.

Hoping to post some pics soon to give everyone an idea in what I'm working with.

That amount of crabs sounds just fine.

Also, i have had luck with the peps eating aiptasia, but they are super sensitive to water parameters, so i dont think you should add them until after you cycle is complete. So i would try and get rid of them by using Aiptasia X, but still add a few to take care of any that might pop up later. I have also noticed that they will only eat the little ones, so you end up having to take care of the large ones yourself anyways.

Noob, as far as powerheads, you're aiming for 10-20x the tank volume in turnover each hour. So for a 58 gallon, you're looking for anywhere from 580-1160 gph. A very common saying is 'as long as your sand isnt in suspension, you dont have too much flow'

I currently have a flow of roughly 5500 gph in my 180

Would you recommend that I get two different velocity of powerheads? I was thinking about getting one of each: Sicce - Voyager 1 (adjustable 265 - 607 gph) and Voyager 2 (800gph).

Does this sound good?

More powerheads is usually better. It allows you to better adjust the flow so you dont have any dead spots. More flow is also always better than less flow too

That amount of crabs sounds just fine.

Also, i have had luck with the peps eating aiptasia, but they are super sensitive to water parameters, so i dont think you should add them until after you cycle is complete. So i would try and get rid of them by using Aiptasia X, but still add a few to take care of any that might pop up later. I have also noticed that they will only eat the little ones, so you end up having to take care of the large ones yourself anyways.

Yeah.. I know shrimp are more sensitive, that's why I didn't get him yesterday. I'll look into Aiptasia X.

Are there any species of snails, crabs, and shrimp you'd advise to stay away from? I know not to get the large red hermit crab.

Thanks again!

I've heard some pretty nasty things about Coral Banded Shrimp. I'd stay away from those.
Make sure you have extra shells for you hermits, though. There is a good chance they will kill your snails to get their shells.

I would also stay away from Margarita snails. They are a cold water species that are commonly sold at LFS, but they just boil to death in your tank.

I am also a fan of having a large variety of different snail types. They tend to eat different things, so a variety keeps more types of algae in check.

Back