foxface feeding

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
So, I broke down and got a fox face, and he's been swimmng around around, but he's still pretty shy around me.
Right now, I'm not feeding him any algae sheets; I've seen him pecking at some of the food I put in for the other guys (frozen & occasionally flake) when he's not hiding), but he hasn't eaten much of it.
I have seen him picking at the rocks a little for the algae (I've got lots of hair algae right now). Do you think I need to supplement him with algae sheets, or will the large amount of hair algae be enough for him?
-Alex

Watch him and see how he does for a week or so.If he'll eat the hair algae,wait untill its gone before using the sheets.
If he starts looking thin and like the hair algae,then you'll need to go a head and supplement.

When I first got my foxface he ate the hair algae off the rock. He'll eat any type of frozen food. Mine loves the emerald entree and mysis shrimp. Plus he loves sheet algae.

:sfish:Keep an eye on abdomen. Usually are voracious eater. Even grazing on algae, should supplement with other frozen foods. Foxface are easily spooked until well settled in the tank. Just be gentle around tank. Once settled, will recognize feeding and can be fed out of fingers.:Cheers:

PROVIDE A QUARTER SHEET EACH MORNING. i USE ALL THREE SEAWEED SELECTS BROWN, RED, GREEN. i ROTATE THEM. FOLD SEAWEED SELECT SO IT IS THICKER, PUT ON A PLASTIC PAPER CLIP TIED WITH FISHING LINE AND LET HANG JUST BELOW WALTER LINE ABOUT 3 INCHES OR SO, ONLY PUT MORE SEAWEED SELECT IN WHEN THE OTHER IS GONE. IT WILL TAKE A FEW DAYS BUT THE FISH WILL FIND IT. THE ALGAE SHEETS ALSO GOOD FOR BLENNYS, ANGLES, AND OTHERS. GOOD LUCK.

Don't let him sting you either. They are poisonus.
It is painful but bearable, unlike Lion which is extremely painful and tingling sensation on tip of tongue and cant talk. Just watch out for doral rays especially when cleaning. Thats only time when they may jump the gun due to nervousness.

Dude...
I stayed overnight out of town, and when I got back, almost all my long hair algae disappeared. I'm not sure whether it was just out of the long hair face, or if it was the foxface (I'm thinking the latter).
There was a TON of the stuff yesterday. Now it's all gone! Looks like I'm buying some algae tomorrow at the LFS until I get my fuge up, running, and growing something. (Do foxfaces eat Chaeto?)
-Alex

Sweet, I'm still in shock by the massive amount he ate! He's pooping like crazy now, tho. I think it'd probably have the same result with me.

Back