Frag Tank in the garage?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
SO I have a spare 75Gal, a skimmer, sump and pump and soon I will have at least one 1250GPH Powerhead.

I only have a spot in my garage to place it tough.

I live in the middle of Florida, well Latitude wise.

I was actually concerned about the temp in the Summer and the Winter. I have a heater but even so wouldn't it still not be a good idea.

Being in the garage where I was gonna put it, I can have a large fan blowing on it during the summer.

I hate to let the stuff just sit there but I am also hesitant to place it in the garage, especially with he garage having the door opening and closing all the time.

It is a 3 car garage but the 2 car side is always opening and closing.

Ill be honest every reefer I know out here has turned their entire garage into their own LFS without issue. I am talking sea horse tanks, frag tanks, another tank in general...I even know one man who had a 20,000 gal custom built into his home and had the plumbing go under his house to the garage where he had the most bad ass sump system I have ever seen.

To be honest a lot of coastal reefers, at least out here in Southern California, do a lot of "unconventional" reefing without issue. No water chemistry issues, no high mortality rates....In fact I only get my fish from one man. He drives to L.A. every weekend to hand pick your fish from the wholesaler and brings them back to San Diego for you. In his garage he has 7 tanks set up strictly for live stock and another 3 set up for QT, hid Ro/Di system is out there everything. He takes no special precautions and has never had a single issue.

My biggest concern was the summer heat.

I figure the winter can be overcome with my 300Watt Heater in the 75 Gal.

I have one of those Vornado Fans for heat.

I'll be setting up my sump, frag tank and other equipment in the garage for my new tank in the new house and will be running a chiller to deal with the heat.

They would probably be fine, water has a high specific heat I don't think that it would make a huge difference having the doors opening and stuff. Chillers are neat though, and a garage is a good place to put them (adequate ventilation, lots of space).

I'm from NY, but houston or florida is a whole different animal.
Anything located in the garage, where it can easily reach temps of 120+ in the summer, needs a chiller.

Phastroh, I live in Fl also and I have a temp gauge in my garage, in the afternoon when both doors have been shut I have had readings of 117* in hte garage. I owuld definetly think a bout a chiller and a decent heater. JUST my own opion

Yeah that is true. I know outside it gets to 100the at times but the garage would be worse. I would ride my stationary bike and could do a water change on my tank with the puddle.

I just went to a lady who has hers outside but she has ac in it and a tube blowing on the water.

I just thought about something.

Why not get an AC Unit. It is only $300 quick is much less than a chiller and probably uses less power or as much and shuts off periodically.

I would not want to close in my 3rd garage I don't think unless I can sell 2" across Frags for $25-$30 all day long.

I purchased these candycanes with 5 heads less than a year ago for $50 and the stores are selling them for $30 a head. They are neonish and now I have like 25 heads. I never paid attention to how fast it spread.

My guess is that long term, the chiller would be the better option.
By the time you insulate the garage, buy an AC, and run it all day to cool off that big space, you'd be better off buying a small chiller which will also only run when needed.

My guess is that long term, the chiller would be the better option.
By the time you insulate the garage, buy an AC, and run it all day to cool off that big space, you'd be better off buying a small chiller which will also only run when needed.

Unless of course you also add a beer fridge and TV. Then it would be worth it.

I'm from NY, but houston or florida is a whole different animal.
Anything located in the garage, where it can easily reach temps of 120+ in the summer, needs a chiller.

Especially if it's closed up. It also depends on the layout of your house and if you keep the door shut and stuff.

My garage is heated and it will stay warm for like two days if I keep it closed up with the heat off, so one in florida would probably be like an oven unless you opened the door a lot, which I think is what he said.

Plus, chillers are REALLY cool (no pun intended). :shock:

P.S. Dennis hurry up and do new tank I need pictures NAO!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Back