Framing techniques

Namor

Reefing newb
Have any of you guys ever used any of the reef framing techniques out there? I am interested in trying it. My live rock is cured, but I have no organisms (livestock I've placed anyway) in the tank, I was thinking I may go ahead and do it.
For those who don't know the technique you basicaly make an upright stable framework of capped pvc tubes that you drill holes into, and then you drill into your liverock, attach pvc tubes coming out of the rock, and then notch hooks into the pipe, that then attached to the scaffolding you've created out of the upright tubes.
Supposedly makes for easier maintenance and an easy way to build stable interesting rockwork formations.
Any thoughts?
My one concern is that a 40 gallon tank is awfully small for this, but it could work ok, just have to scale it down.

I've never done it myself, but have seen "instructional videos" online of how to do it. I've never had the need to do it in one of my tanks, as aquascaping is easy enough without it, and I'm completely inept when it comes to DIY stuff. If you try it, be sure to post pics or videos as you go!

I think another appeal to it for me, seems to be the ease of taking a tank down, as a grad student I don't live where I will ultimately live, if you know what I mean. This systems seems a nice way to be able to easily and effectively take a rock network down and put it back together fairly easily, but I will photo document it for you :D

Hey Bif, do you remember where you saw those internet videos? I did a search, but couldn't locate any, if you could, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. I like to research something a lot before I dive into it.

i think it is more trouble than it is worth. If you are into crazy creations for your rocks, I guess it may be worth it, but, aquascaping is pretty easy if you have the right rocks and moving is just not that hard

-Doc

Well, you may be right doc, especially given this is a small tank, 40 gallons, I can do some decent aquascaping without the framing, mainly I was interested in trying the technique out so that when I get really big (210 tank that I'm saving for) I have some practice and can see if it's worth it.

I would be interested to see it, but would proabably hold off until you have a larger tank for it..... I would say hang on to that 40 too so you could throw a bimac in there too but I think 40g will be a little tight for the little guy once it reaches full size

Back