Frozen food = bad for reef?

CMOS

Reefing newb
Howdy All,

I've read a few posts on the Net that said (some/all) frozen foods have too much phosphates, etc., for a healthy reef tank.

I have a new Randalls Goby that I'd like to feed some Brine shrimp but I wanted to check on the water effects first.

Thoughts? Opinions?

CMOS

I think everyone on this site feeds frozen..never had the problem.

I believe the majority of us thaw and rinse before it goes in the tank.

+1 PRC I always pre-rinse. When I see the color that the rinse water becomes afterwards, you'd think twice before putting food into your tank w/o rinsing.

Flake food tends to be high in phosphates. I avoid those. I do occasionally toss in some Formula One pellets for the cuc, but I do this sparingly.

I would be feeding mysis over brine. Brine is like the candy of the fish world. They all love it, but it really isnt good for them.

+1 everybody else about rinsing

I feed new fish brine. After that I'll stick to mysis. I always dose with garlic too. My clowns are tiny so I never rinse the frozen. It tends to only keep the big pieces and the fish don't bother breaking it up.

Last edited:
While all foods contain phosphates,frozen is the better of the options.Flakes and pellets contain ash as a preservatives which are then released into the water.With frozen,most of the released phosphates are rinsed off before feeding the fish.

I mix every thing up from day to day to give them a variety the one thing my fish friends seem to love the most are the seaweed sheets. I don't know if that is because that's what my LFS uses or just there preference. They tend to turn a gil at the brine other than the Peppermint's and crab

Which of your fish are eating algae sheets? Mine won't touch it.

All my Gobys eat them like its a Christmas feast hahaha as well as the damsel i have left in my tank do to the realationship that seemed to of been made between Johny Storm (firefish) and D-Bag the (Yellowtail Damsel) its crazy
zybergoby-albums-my-bubbles-picture803-johnny-storm-and-danger-fish-oddly-best-friends-they-eat-and-sleep-together.jpg

They are always together

My damsel or clowns don't like them. They'll just spit it out. The damsel picks the diatoms on the glass so im like whaaaaa

I dont rinse mine either. I think I will start though. I did make my own fish food but after s few days of using it I had a serious diatoms out break.

While all foods contain phosphates,frozen is the better of the options.Flakes and pellets contain ash as a preservatives which are then released into the water.With frozen,most of the released phosphates are rinsed off before feeding the fish.

Are y'all rinsing with tank water or fresh water?

CMOS

Back