Give me the Lo Down on Wrasses

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
maybe it is just what I have read or heard, but it seems these guys are the trouble makers of the home aquarium world. Seems like they bully other small fish, eat my snails and hermits, eat my pods, pick at corals, don't eat bad algae. Are the only beneficial thing about them that they have cool colors? What is your experiences with them? Which ones do you recommend? :question:

Six lines are hit or miss. I've had 2 sixlines and never had a problem with them being aggressive. Mine have been quite timid and minded their own business, as a matter of fact.

My leopard wrasse is the most beautiful fish out there, and it very docile and well-tempered. I would highly recommend this wrasse to anyone looking for a pretty community tank fish.

I've seen 6 lines that were cool as cucumbers and some that were lil bitches.50/50 shot with 6 lines.My red Fairy Wrasse doesnt bother anything except pods.

Clown Fairy Wrasse, RAdiant Wrasses, Velvet Wrasses and my Mystery Wrasse are reef safe. Twinspots, Lime Green Wrasse are bastards, they will eat your snails and move push your corals. I have a six line and he's a cool little dude!

All your fairy wrasses are going to be OK. I am a fan of the yellow coris wrasse, I have had four at a time and they didn't touch a thing. I currently have a christmas wrasse and it is awesome and doesn't bother a thing. Do your homework on a specific one. Good rule of thumb is size: Under 6 inches, good chance they will be OK, over 6.... good luck!

-Doc

I have had 2 sixlines and they both were/are awesome! I love the way they swim through all the rock crevices and caves. A warning though they are carpet surfers, at least in my experience.

I have a six line and he's agressive. He doesn't bother the bigger fish it's the ones his size or smaller. Also mine does not eat flatwworms. So I must of got one from hell.

damn you sure do love that leopard wrasse. THe LFS I was at had two of them and they were a lot smaller than I expected. These were about the size of adult clownfish. How big do they get?

Mine is about 5 to 6 inches long. I don't know how big he potentially could get, but when I got him, he was probably around 4 inches long.

I hope wrasse are nice fishes, I have 2 scotts fairy wrasse (Australian) on order, have been on order for almost a month :( apparently difficult fish to find.

Back