gluying corals with HoldFast Epoxy

qxcontinuum

Reefing newb
Hi, i need help regarding some reef glue i bough. It is called "Hold Fast" by Marine Land epoxy.
They are saying how to do but does not specify if it can be done underwater.
On the package it says that we should wash hands after use because it eliminates resins and amine which may irritate sensitive skin.

How safe is this one for water and can it be done insight tank in the water?

I have not used any epoxies. But I beleive that they will harden under water. The two parts mixed together create a chemical reaction that causes the hardening.

I have used Super Glue Gel to attach slofites like mushrooms and zoas onto a rock. Take the rock out pat dry a section add generous amounts of super glue gel then place the coral in the little puddle of super glue. Let dry for a few seconds then place back in the water. Get the gel kind because it is thicker and less likely to run all over the place. Super Glue is a chemical called cyanoacrylate and when it hardens, is pretty much acrylic. So it is safe in the water.

I'm not familiar with that particular brand. I've always used the epoxy I've bought from the hardware store. Those ones will say if they cure underwater or not. Try it out and see. It will still probably work.

it is safe to use in our tanks and it will cure under water. but it can be a pain in the but to get it to stay put until it sets up. out the epoxy on the rock than use a dab of superglue gel where you want the coral to go to help hold it better while it is setting up

is this the 2 part putty from home depot if so its totally safe .Ive been using it for years now no problem and yes it will harden under water in about 24 hrs.The 2 part putty from home depot should start out green and end up white.

I have not used any epoxies. But I beleive that they will harden under water. The two parts mixed together create a chemical reaction that causes the hardening.

I have used Super Glue Gel to attach slofites like mushrooms and zoas onto a rock. Take the rock out pat dry a section add generous amounts of super glue gel then place the coral in the little puddle of super glue. Let dry for a few seconds then place back in the water. Get the gel kind because it is thicker and less likely to run all over the place. Super Glue is a chemical called cyanoacrylate and when it hardens, is pretty much acrylic. So it is safe in the water.

I use the same thing. Super glue gel works wonders.

Back