Goniopora

Navarchus

Almost smarter than a pig
Years ago, I was discouraged from buying goniopora (flower pot coral) because it was considered too hard to keep in the long term. People had been able to keep it alive for about 12-20 months, but then it inevitably crashed. People speculated that it must need some trace element that hobbyists were unable to identify.

Does anyone know if there has been any progress in the hobby regarding goniopora? I would love to get one, but only if I can thoroughly understand the care it requires.

My lfs usually discourage people from getting them also, because of their short lifespan, they are unsure what they eat also for longevity.
I am also tempted to try one, but have settled for an alveopora, which is doing well.

That is a great article ccCapt; exactly what I was looking for. It looks like the care requirements for Goniopora are in direct conflict with those of Acropora. Goniopora require a nutrient rich environment with low to moderate flow. In fact, it looks like protein skimming may actually be bad for Goniopora.

They are still pretty iffy since their requirements seem to be different than most of the other corals we keep. But there are several people on here that have successfully kept gonis for years. It seems that the color morph matters too, red ones being easier to keep than the yellow or green ones.

Good article ccCapt

I have had a Pink one for 2 years now & sorry to say something changed & it's going quick, but it was so striking I will get another.

see it on the upper right, that was a year ago

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 350
Sorry to hear that they are one of the coolest corals. I cant find a red one around here. Thats what I want.

Back