Good Morning

irishfan43614

Reefing newb
Hello all! We got a first timer here!

Everytime when I think I am understanding this more, I go onto a forum and get lost again. So I figured why not start asking some questions.

Well when I brought my 35 gallon Octogon tank home from my Father in Laws house, he had given up (Never changed any water, the tank was overrun with red algea on all sides, Filter didn't work and he never knew about it). I want to get this tank where it should be, oddly enough all of the fish have survived in it this long. I just purchased a canister filter, which I read was a good idea on one site, and not so good here. I am trying to figure where to start, any ideas?

Most people don't run canister filters or filters at all for that matter. Your live rock will be your bio filter, you want about 1 to 2 pounds per gallon. A protein skimmer would be of more benefit than a filter, you could go with a Hang on Back model if you don't have a sump, but for a 35 gallon your weekly water changes will also do the job. Powerheads are needed to help with water movement, if you don't have any you will want to get probably two.

What kind of fish do you have???

I am going to need some help on that one.. I know I have 1 tomato Clown, 1 clown, 2 smaller blue ones, one pink, one light blue, also one star fish (looks like a chocolate chip, but is very lanky so didn't think that was it)... this is horrible, but he didn't have a clue what he put in it, so I want to identify them all and see what they need. I will try to get them to take a picture later on.

Yeah pics would help getting the fish identified. 6 fish is really pushing the limit (actually really to many) for a 35 gallon tank, especially one that has been not be well maintained.

You are telling me, there were actually 1 or 2 more that died before he gave me the tank. He was just going to flush them and throw the tank out, so I talked him into letting me have it and try to get rid of the algea and get it healthy again. I will take some pictures later on. I do have a little 20 gallon tank that I should get started to move 1 or 2 of the fish over there to get this one balanced out. Granted all I have for that is a tank and nothing else ;)

Will running the Canister hurt the tank, or did I just blow $100?

No it won't hurt if you use something like live rock rubble or maybe put some carbon in to polish the water, but I wouldn't use floss as it will just trap waste and cause nitrate problems unless it is cleaned quite often.

At least now the tank is in the hands of someone who wants to take care of it and do the right thing for the fish.

I will take pictures later so that hopefully we can get the fish identified. Also I would love to get this red algea problem gone, but in time I guess..

Once the tank is on a regular maintenance schedule and being taken care of properly, the algae will clear up.

If you don't have one an RO/DI system will go a long way in helping with water quality. Or distilled water.

Letting tap water sit out will only remove the chlorine, it wont remove any of the other nasty junk in tap water (nitrates, phosphates, silicates etc)

I would look at the Reef Octopus HOB protein skimmers, not sure of the exact model # but it's something like a BH1000. You want a skimmer rated at least twice your tank size.

I really do appreciate all of the help. Would it help out if i tried to wipe off some of this algae, it doesn't cover the out side but it is really nagging me. I do understand that patience is huge with these tanks, but should i scrub it or will that make it worse off?

Back