Gorilla Crab

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Yesterday after work I was up looking at the tank like I normally do before I feed everything. About 5 min after I put food in I noticed this big hairy crab hiding under a colony of palys. I thought it was strange because I only have 2 emerald crabs and both of them were in view. I slowly lifted up the palys and it was a gorilla crab. It has dark black tips on its pointy pinchers. I tried to stab, but I missed and it went deeper into the LR. I'll be setting up a crap trap this evening to see if I can catch it. Wonder how long it's been in there? I've never seen it before until yesterday.

That tends to happen with this hobby.:D

He SHOULD leave your corals alone.And MAY NOT go after the fish.But you never really know with those critters.

The body is about the size of a quarter and with the legs/claws it about a 50 cent piece. I'm guessing it's been in there for months. I saw one when I had my BC14g and took the small rock out it was in and threw it away. Guess it either wasn't in that rock or there were more than 1. Hopefully I can catch it. If not, I'll just have to fresh water rinse my rocks when I upgrade.

Back