the adventure of catching a gorilla crab!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I have what I believe is a gorilla crab in my tank. I've left it for a few weeks bc it wasn't doing any harm but he is getting braver and braver and I think he is being destructive to my maxi mini nem. That being said I want this guy out and my lfs said they would love to take him. So I made myself a crab trap and I put it in the tank with some krill in it. Now this guy looooves frozen food. He will take it out of my hand. So I'm betting he will go in. He is coming over from behind the nem as I write this actually. Also a stupid hermit is venturing into the bottle too. Hopefully I catch this guy!
IMAG1483.jpg

IMAG1484.jpg

Good luck!

I usually just wait until they come out for food and i grab them with my long steel forceps. If he grabs on to something too tight and wants to play tug of war.... somebody looses a leg/arm. And it ain't me. :D

Black pointy claws and hairy? If so, catch it quick. I had one that tore up a bunch of softies in two days. Funny thing is....it looked just like Donkey Kong. I'll dig up some pics and you'll see what I mean.

PICT0580.jpg

PICT0566-1.jpg

Hmm mine looks different than that. It's hairy looking and a light brownish. Very Sharp pinchers but not black tipped.

Dennis I did try to grab him but he's too fast! He comes out just enough to snatch the food and the maxi mini is so sticky I don't want to rip it accidentally.

He is right in the middle if the pic below the zoas.
IMAG1172.jpg

I really really hate them...... I had I think it was 12-15 in my tank last year that came inside some live rock. I ended up busting up the rock in to four peaces. collected them all brought them to my lfs they used them as fish food... :D

but i have to say they are nasty bastards they ate a mess of my Zoa and Xenia and other softs.

Thats fine Brittany they will hide till the time is right or they get to big for where they hitched in on. I'm still finding things pop out of my rocks and its been a year since I added any new live rock. all I've been adding is dry rock. Since my pest explotion. figured that was safer than getting more death rock from around here. But yeah your live rock hides much more than you may know...

Well the thing is, is he isn't hurting anything. I saw him tug on the nem a bit but I think he might have just been stuck to it. He hasn't touch any corals so maybe this isn't a gorilla crab? Idk he is literally right underneath the nem on the edge staring at the bottle. He knows there is food but won't go in..he's too smart.

hmmm could be a matrix never know till you can get a really really good look at him. and properly identify the little bugger... :D

Oh I've seen him a million times. He comes out alll the time. Maybe ill do a search and see what comes up.

that sounds like a plan :D ;) but is this helps here is a photo of one of mine. it loved my softys.... and this was just a young gorilla crab the others were much hairier
100_1186-1.jpg

that sounds like a plan :D ;) but is this helps here is a photo of one of mine. it loved my softys.... and this was just a young gorilla crab the others were much hairier
100_1186-1.jpg

Oh what the hell....that looks like mine...mine is destroying anything tho...he won't go in the Dang bottle! Hr just sits there and stares at it like "you really think I'm that stupid?"

Trying to catch my destructive decorator was the worst.
I ended up lifting the rock in mid water, he didnt have the pair to jump, just netted the little fella.

Back