Got More Rocks Today

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I just picked up 21lbs of live rock today. It's Fiji. Paid $3.99/lb and got a 10% discount for paying cash at the LFS. :bounce: Tax and all cost me $81.12 for 21lbs.

That puts me at 48lbs in my 30g tall.

Pics will be posted as soon as I get all the rocks in place. Sorry, I know I'm gonna get the Regis pic about a wasted thread without any pics. Give me a couple hrs. :mrgreen:

It's nowhere near as impressive as your tanks, but I'm starting to think it looks decent.

Got a MASSIVE astrea snail today. It's shell is like 2.5" diameter at the widest part. Hopefully, it will eat some of my hair algae. I'm growing ropes of the stuff in my tank.

I ordered some Phosban and media bags from FosterSmith today. I plan to fill the media bag and put it in the return section of my refugium. That way the cheato can use as much phosphate as it wants and whatever gets out of the fuge will have to pass over the phosban before entering the tank.

Last edited:
Already got 1 hitcher. :mrgreen:

It's a margarite snail. My others have been alive for over a month now. Maybe the slow acclimation helped them survive. I keep my tank at 78F and I haven't lost a margarite snail yet. I had 3, now I got 4. :mrgreen:

Tank is cloudy right now. Soon as it clears up I'll snap a few pics.

I'm acclimating my hitcher margarite snail and the mammoth astrea snail right now. I plan to release them just before bed tonight. That will give me another 3.5hrs. They've been acclimating for about 1.5hrs already.

Pics:
Front view. Take note of my total dedication to promoting excellent growth of the precious hair algae. It takes a special kind of dedication to the hobby in order to culture a tank, such as this.

NewRocksa.JPG

And my Goby. His name is Cracker, cause he's a flakey, white dork.

Crackera.JPG

2 green mushroom frags and a couple zoa frags.
Fragsb.JPG

Couple more zoa frags.
Fragsa.JPG

My precious hair algae culture. Left side.
AlgaeCulturea.JPG

Hair algae culture. These damn snails are on the verge of termination. They aren't doing their jobs very well......
AlgaeCultureb.JPG

Thats all for now. I'll post some more pics when it clears up a bit.
Fragsb.JPG

AFT? please enlighten..

AFT = Algae Filled Tank

The AFT Club is only for an elite few. We are expert hair algae culturists. It takes months, sometimes years, to achieve this type of success. I have been studying and learning at an enormous pace, which explains my elevated status even though I've only been reefing for a few months.

You weren't kidding about the hair algae.Very AFT worthy,Biff should be proud.
I do like the rocks though.

The Astreas prolly won't put a dent the hair algae.

I'm planning to scrap it all off next week. Then a 25% water change. I'll wait a couple dayd and scrape again and another 25% water change.
BUT, this time, I'll be using a 6 stage RO/2DI unit. :^: And i'm going to run Phosban in the return side of my fuge from now on. I'd like my fuge to use any phophates that flow through it. So I'm gonna run the phosban in the return side so that it will hopefully eat up any remaining phosphates before they can enter the tank again.

It's actually going away on it's own. Just very slowly. I caught a margarite snail munching on a "rope" of algae yesterday. He kinda had his foot wrapped around it and he was CHOWING on the main stalk. I think it might actually go away on it's own--maybe in a couple months. But, I don't like it and would rather just scrape it off.

Algae culturists UNITE against the tyranny of a clean tank!!!! :helm2:

Rock work looks great Rc.

Just get rid of that hair and come on over away from the dark side and join the NAAO.

Become one of the Few,The Proud,The NAAO.

Back