Fishy's Most Awesome Hexagonal Aquarium!!

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I am super excited to finally be setting up my hexagonal aquarium! I got it a year ago as a package deal with my 90g, and it has sat in the corner of my office since then. Long story short, two of the fish in my 90g became too aggressive and had to be removed a few months ago, they've been in fishy foster care since then, and this tank is going to be there new home at my house!

The tank itself is a non-standard hexagon that is about 12" per side, and 25" high. It is 22" across and 25" in each diagonal. The person sold it to me as a 45g hex, but the various calculators I've run it through have come back as either 37g or 42g. Anyhow, its a midsize tank that is roughly 2 feet around. Here's a pic of the tank, though it looks taller and more slender in this pic than it actually is (this is from last year when I first moved it to my office):

Today I bought the skimmer for it - a reef octopus HOB skimmer w/ extra filter chamber, and I'm totally in love with this skimmer - such a great concept! I plan to add rubble, chaeto, and the heater to the filter chamber, and it will still have room for a bag of carbon or phosban as needed.

I also plan to add 2 hydor koralia 750 powerheads, a kessil A350 light, and a titanium heater. Eventually I will also hook everything up to an RKL so I can blow a fan across it this summer. I still need to buy rock for it, and am also having the stand touched up and a high canopy built.

My stock list so far looks like this:

Longnose hawkfish
black cap basslet
six-line wrasse
lemonpeel angel (I know LA recently changed the size requirements for a full grown one, and I will eventually upgrade this tank to a 72 bowfront, but I think a juvenile will be okay in this tank for awhile)

I also know the angel and hawkfish are "with caution" - I don't plan to have shrimp in the tank and will only tentatively try corals with the angel - this might end up being just a FOWLR tank.

A few questions for you guys:

What do you think about adding a pistol shrimp / orange striped prawn goby pair? Will the hawkfish eat the pistol shrimp? Will the other fish bully the goby to death?

What do you think about adding a starry or midas blenny? Is everything else in this tank too aggressive given space limitations? I am keeping in mind that I had to remove the six line and black cap from my 90g because they became too aggressive with a female fairy wrasse, and the black cap was also posturing at and nipping the fins of my tang.

If I ditch the idea of the goby/pistol or blenny, does anyone have a good idea for a 5th fish that might be okay with this group?

I'm so excited to start this tank, just trying to stay within budget :D

Cool!
Hawkfish are known to eat shrimp so it may or it may not. You can try it but it will probably be an expensive meal.

And once you upgrade, that tank would be awesome for seahorsies! :D

And once you upgrade, that tank would be awesome for seahorsies! :D

Yup, that's what I'm thinking too!

I thought about just getting the bowfront now, but money-wise and landlord-wise its easier to start with this tank. I'm probably going to be buying a small condo sometime next year so that's when I'll move the occupants of this tank to a bowfront. In the mean time, I can't wait to get this baby wet!

Might be nice to set it up as a centerpiece tank instead of being lodged against a corner.
Run the electrical supply under the floor and have a 360 degree view tank.
Although, having a HOB skimmer kinda kills that idea.

Back