green algea eaters not too enthusiastic

natan

Reefing newb
Hi all,

My tank is finally cycled but overgrown by long green algae (water is ok i think: 0 ammonia; 0 nitrites; 15ppm nitrAtes; ph 8.3).

Enter my first algae grazers: 3 Red clawed hermit crabs - they didn't move from a spot in 24h; an Algae Blenny/Sailfin - turned out to be a mistake for my small tank although he seems to be feeding on the live rock (I'll probably end up giving it to someone with a bigger tank if he starves). None of the above showed any appetite for these long hair-like green algae.

I'm disappointed with the Red claws who haven't moved at all since I got them yesterday. I've had a small blue hermit in the tank for a while and he survived through the last part of cycling. What's wrong with this picture?

Thank you all.

PS: I read here that green algae may interfere with symbiotic algae of the corals. It doesn't seem wise to add any corals in till the algae are controlled, right?

Last edited:
it will take time to get the algae under control. a lawnmower blenny will help but the sailfin will not eat it will eat macro alage the good stuph you can get algae sheets but your tank is to small for it as it grows you will need a bigger tank for it.

Actually,the lawnmower blenny and the sailfin are the same fish.
What are you using to feed with?If your using flakes or pellets,switch to frozen foods.Flakes and pellets contain ash which is nothing more than phosphates.Cut back on feeding.Cut back to once every 2 or 3 days,then only feed small amounts.
Cut back on your lights.It wouldbt be a bad idea to leave them completely off for 3 or 4 days.Step up the water changes.Say 20% a week,and siphon out as much algae as possible.
Run some kind of phosphate remover.I personally like phos-guard and chemi-pure elite.And pick up a bottle of Marine SAT and start doseing it.Its a live bacteria that will compete with the algae for nutrients.

Hermit crabs really won't do anything for hair algae. The only cleaner crew that will eat hair algae are mexican turbo snails and sea hares. If this is for your 15 gallon tank, that's too small for a sea hare. If I were you, I'd pick up one or two mexican turbo snails (they are big, you only need one or two). They will usually eat hair algae. But they won't if it's really long. Pick off what you can by hand and get it as short as possible for the snails to finish off.

There are several types of hair algae.Some like bryopsis will never get eaten so manual remover is you're best bet.For other types,Mexican Turbo Snails make the best hair algae eaters.Like Biff said,you only need one or two.

I just put 8 turbos in my tank and they are eating the algae. The two Mexican turbos however have just been sitting still for 99% of the time -they move 2 inches every 24 hours. Are they sick or dead? My chem tests are excellent and yes I equalized salinity and temperature over the course of 30 mins. when I put them in on Saturday.

Arrrgh! I lost a sute little $28 fish today and my mexican turbos look sick! (Now excuse, my fried flounder sandwich is ready).

Snails need to be acclimated a lot longer than fish do. 3 to 4 hours is recommended, since they are much more sensitive to water parameters than fish are.

Back