Green Birdsnest

Fastlight

Semper FI
I have never have had an sps coral. I wanted to try one so I got a small frag of green birdsnest. The one i got the little polyps(if thats what they are) are more blue than green. The guy said it was cause of his poor lighting. I have it at the top of the tank under 4 t-5s and an led strip. My question is in about 8 spots there are little spots that I cant tell are either bleaching or growing. Im hoping it is starting to grow because it has a greenish tint to these spots. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice or a website as to how these corals grow? Im really hoping its starting to grow and not dying.

As far as parameters....i dont test phosphates or calcium or any of the other stuff like that. i just the standard stuff to check are doing excellent.

If your going to keep SPS you need to start checking phosphates, akalinaty and calcium.. They need Alk and Cal to grow and Zero detectable phosphates. Phosphates prohibit the coral from using the Alk and Cal to grow.

Put it in the highest spot possible in the tank, and start testing for other stuff, like shroom zombies suggested. A pic of the white spots would help

Also, 4 T5s over a 90g aren't enough light to keep healthy SPS

I disagree, many factors play into whether any coral will be healthy when it comes to light. Its placed high in the tank, and also directly under the led strip that also helps par.
I could have 8 t-5s over that tank, and if the other 4 bulbs arent helping in the area of where the coral is placed as far as lighting then you are just wasting energy.

I guess I will have to get a test kit. I did not know about the phosphates.

I will have to get a picture later, if i can get a good one with my camera, and its not turning white. it has a greenish tint to it.

Honestly I think what I am seeing is new growth, but seeing as Ive never seen new growth on an sps before i dont know for sure

I think it is just growing. I have several SPS in my tank. On my blue Acro the tips are really blue and on my orange digitata the tip are white as snow.

You will really need to keep up on the calcium Alk and Mag. I have mostly LPS and SPS corals and have to dose everyday to maintain my levels.

Last edited:
Back