Grim's 40g

MrGrimxX

Reefing newb
Here it is, and this is what I have so far.

Powerhead
Heater
Light (i believe its called Coral sun, got it from a friend for free)
Penguin BioWheel 350 Filter
Good bit of CC mixed with Live sand
1 piece of Live Rock
Red Violation Lion Fish
1 large crab in a shell
2 small crabs in a shell
and some saltwater. haha

here are the pics.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

Sorry for the camera phone pics. Not sure where my regular camera got off too.

Next on the list is a long spined sea urchin, a star fish, and 1 other fish. Probably a Blue Tang.

You can't put a blue tang in a 40 gallon tank, sorry. They need 2 or 3 times as much space as that. They are pretty demanding fish. A 40 gallon can be a tough tank to stock. You are limited to about 4 fish, but you also have to think about what's going to be compatible with a lion fish. Any tang needs at least a 4 foot long tank for the swimming space they require. The lion is small now, so you won't have to worry too much. Also, an urchin needs algae to live off of. I wouldn't recommend putting one in such a new tank with no algae growth. There's nothing for it to eat in there.

You can't put a blue tang in a 40 gallon tank, sorry. They need 2 or 3 times as much space as that. They are pretty demanding fish. A 40 gallon can be a tough tank to stock. You are limited to about 4 fish, but you also have to think about what's going to be compatible with a lion fish. Any tang needs at least a 4 foot long tank for the swimming space they require. The lion is small now, so you won't have to worry too much. Also, an urchin needs algae to live off of. I wouldn't recommend putting one in such a new tank with no algae growth. There's nothing for it to eat in there.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Im pretty new to this.

Ive had my tank set up for about 3 months. And just now got my first fish. And about 1/2 my sand, the live rock and about 10 gallons of the original water was from a previously setup tank(from my buddys 125 gal.)

I really only want 2 fish in the tank. And so far the Lion wont eat. Whats another good fish that would be compatible with the lion?

That's not going to be enough light to keep corals. T5s would be great for your tank, but you need to go with either a 4 bulb or 6 bulb set up (the ones you linked to have 2 bulbs). With T5s, you want to aim for at least 4 watts per gallon. So for a 40 gallon tank, look for a light fixture that's 160 watts or more.

You may want to check out the Current Nova Extreme Pros. Those would be the best lights for your tank.

Welcome to the site :D You might want to rethink the biowheel. That's really more useful for freshwater. Get a hob skimmer. The problem with getting rid of the skimmer is that it already has your biological population that breaks down the ammonias, and taking it out might shock the system. Aaaaah...nice clean new tanks :D Dunno what to do about the feeding...I know you said in your other post that he ate at the store (did you see it eat?) and you tried to feed it the same things the LFS person said worked for them.

Welcome :) i have also got a lionfish in a 40 gallon tank, he has just started to nip at some food i have put in there and am going to try feeding him tomorrow.

You might want to have a look at some of the smaller puffers for that tank, they do well with the lions.

Good luck :)

Oh, I forgot, it often takes lionfish more than a week before they started feeding, breakup some whole fish, and see if he gets going then.

Shinny new tank:D

Get yourself a good HOB skimmer or build a sump.Put a few more powerheads in there and more rock and ditch the bio-wheel filters.:D

Great start into the hobby.

Thanks for the tips.

As for coral, not sure if im ready for that.

A puffer fish would be cool. They have one at one of the local places here, and its almost 10" long. What species are the smaller ones called?

Check out liveaquaria.com for fishy ideas :D That's how I come up with ideas for fish to put in my tank, then I research the breed to make sure it works for my tank. They give pretty straightforward information on what the fish's basic lifestyle is, from tank size, temperament, and diet. It will at least get you off to a good start to pick the fish.

Welcome to the site and hobby!

My first thought was ''is that a freshwater tank or saltwater?''.To each there own but fake plants and decoration looks out of place in a saltwater tank.Hell,they look out of place even in a freshwater setup.

Welcome to the site and hobby!

My first thought was ''is that a freshwater tank or saltwater?''.To each there own but fake plants and decoration looks out of place in a saltwater tank.Hell,they look out of place even in a freshwater setup.
Yeah I know. But everything you see in the pic besides the salt in the water, fish, and the heater I got for only 50 bucks. It was a steal I could not pass up. I do plan to go with saltwater plants, and more live rock.

Just 'cause you got it, doesn't mean you have to use it:D If you eveer find yourself down my way let me know and I can hook you up with some live rock and a few coral frags to get your feet wet. I've got plenty of extra rock just sitting in my sump. But you have to toss the fake plants first! :bounce:

Back