grounding fish tank?

Capt Dave

Reefing newb
Code:
Grounding
Anyone ground their tanks? Been researching this topic about stray electrical charges in aquariums and am interested if anyone has experience with this as I feel a slight charge in the water in a cut on my finger. I read it is a more common occurrence than originally thought and the arguments about it's effect on fish health seem to make sense to me

There is disagreement in the hobby about whether to ground the tank or not. If you read up on it online, there are arguments for both sides. Having dealt with "stray voltage" in all my tanks -- including an episode that killed almost all my corals -- I am a firm believer in grounding the tank. I would not run an aquarium without a grounding probe. But others would disagree.

Sorry to randomly just jump on this post, but where can one get one of these grounding plugs? Will most LFS have them?

im in the process of grounding my fish tank too due to stray voltage and was also wondering where to get the probes from. also, can stray voltage cause high nitrates?

Back