grouper aggression?

kmart189

Reefing newb
So I have a Miniatus grouper and a Clown Grouper and they have gotten along for awhile with no issues, but this week I have noticed the Miniatus is picking on the Clown. He will dart out of the rocks and nip at his tail and go back in and hide. There is a ton of cover in the tank and no reason that I can think of that they should fight. I have heard of people using mirrors to calm aggression what do you guys think of this idea? Has anyone had luck with the mirror trick? Does someone have a link to one that sticks on with a magnet or suction cups? I really do not want to get rid of either of these fish, but we will see.

I did a search on groupers and it says that the miniatus is very aggressive towards other fish when they come near there territory:frustrat:, so I don t think the mirrior trick will work. I just think your grouper is gonna continue to attach just keeping others away from its home. But it wouldnt hurt to try the mirror. Good luck:Cheers:

The mirror trick has a great track record from what i hear.Just use a small (5x5in) shaving mirror

Last edited:
I'd about lay 1000 to 1 odds that nothing will curb the aggression of that Miniatus.
Aside from a great white,thats probably THE most aggressive fish you keep in saltwater.

Well my tank is completely different now recently I added a ton of rock which I would think would calm aggression. I also added metal halides the same time I added the rock. I don't know if it is because they are fighting over territory or not, but I hope it settles down they were getting along fine before. My clown grouper is going to lose this battle though if it gets out of control and the miniatus has nipped at his tail and to where it is frayed and no longer smooth, but has not taken out chunks. I need to end it or get rid of the clown which I don't want to do, but will if I have to.

Back