GunNut1911's BC29 build

GunNut1911

Cocked n' locked
Hey everyone, started my BC29 build on May 4th, 2012.

May 5th 2012 (14 hours with water) Running 100 watt heater, stock return, and filterfloss.
reef001.jpg

May 18th, 2012 (with all 27 lbs of live rock added.) Brown diatoms have covered all my rock, and sand. now running the Aqualife internal mini skimmer 115. Also added a Koralia 550 powerhead (no aquascaping done)

At this time, i also added my CUC from ReefCleaners.org, and they went to town.

001.jpg

015.jpg

025.jpg

Along with some Chaeto for my (at that time, soon to be) fuge.
013.jpg

Shortly after my CUC arrived, i added both a Coral Banded shrimp, & Emerald Crab. By this time, the brown diatoms had died down a bit.

frank.jpg

From this point, i just sat back, and let my tank do its thing. The brown diatoms went down tremendously, my tank fully cycled. I also played around with the scape a bit, trying to get a somewhat cave-dome feel, without sacrificing too much flow.

012.jpg

On top of all that, my skimmer started pulling some nice skimmate
005.jpg

I received my order from InTank, which included my media basket, fuge, fuge light, and fishsaver.
010.jpg

Now running:
AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115
Theo 100 watt heater
Media basket with filter floss, purigen, and chemipure elite
Fuge with chaeto, and light
Pre-filter, and stock return.

My levels are absolutely perfect with this setup, and i am very happy with it.
At this point, i redo the scape once again.

5/27/12 I added two fish. A Firefish Goby, and Royal Dottyback.
I added them at the same time, because i do not plan on having many other fish (maybe only 1 more at this time) so the royal hasnt set up a territory.

021.jpg

Coraline is growing rapidly. I have an explosion of life on my rocks, featherdusters, and even some kind of zoa growing. Ive seen one bristleworm, and everything is doing great so far.

I will continue to post and update this tank as i add corals, and watch it grow.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Congrats, tank looks great. :Cheers:
Thank you, Mike. I think i missed having a tank in the house. I had freshwater tanks since i was a baby, and i bred african cichlids for awhile. This is a completely different pace. I really love it. Heck, i already am eyeballing a 1gallon pico setup. lol :frustrat:

I really like your Avatar. I have a Glock in .45 ACP, but I definitely like the my 1911 better. Favorite handgun of all tho is the Colt Single Action Army.

I really like your Avatar. I have a Glock in .45 ACP, but I definitely like the my 1911 better. Favorite handgun of all tho is the Colt Single Action Army.

Very nice, my current favorite in the collection is my newest Springfield 5" stainless loaded model 1911.

Ive been looking at a glock 30 for CCW, but i think ill end up with another springfield, because i really love the triggers on XDs.

Glad to see more people out there with other great hobbies.

I have a Keltec 9mm for CCW, small, compact, easy to conceal, but I'm not a big fan of double action autos, that why I like the 1911, but it's to large for me to carry concealed. New Springfield 1911, nice, I'm jealous. :bowdown: My 1911 is a WWII issue made by Remington Rand, it's had some gunsmith work done so it's a sweet shooter.

Yeah, every once in a blue moon, ill wear something a little too light and tight to carry anything but the kel tec p3at. Its a fun little thing to shoot too. Im a big guy, so i make a full size 1911 disappear! haha

Ive been using a safariland IWB kydex wrapped in suede holster and a 5.11 tactical trainer belt, and i have absolutely no issues with my pants sagging, but for obvious reasons its not always the most comfortable thing in the world. haha

Honestly, traditional 1911's are my favorites. But, i really dont think there is a 1911 out there i wouldnt like. Even the "tacky-cool" ones are alright! haha

Looks great! But keep an eye on the CBS, they are well known for being well behaved for awhile, and then turning into monster Aholes, and eating your fish.

great build and yes like Hannah has stated the CBS does turn in to an A-HOLE!!!! Mine (now 6in claws to tail) is starting to pick ay my nem's and eat my hermits. My phantom peppermint is brave but for how long I don't know... so yeah keep an eye on that bugger they can become Leonard and go all section 8 on your tank....

Very nice setup...good job.

Thank you very much!

Looks great! But keep an eye on the CBS, they are well known for being well behaved for awhile, and then turning into monster Aholes, and eating your fish.
great build and yes like Hannah has stated the CBS does turn in to an A-HOLE!!!! Mine (now 6in claws to tail) is starting to pick ay my nem's and eat my hermits. My phantom peppermint is brave but for how long I don't know... so yeah keep an eye on that bugger they can become Leonard and go all section 8 on your tank....

You guys are funny :D, because they dont behave! lol
I keep him fed, but yes, he does look at my dottyback and has taken a lunge or two at him. Hes a little B - stard. lol Its one of those things, that if he becomes TOO much of an issue, i can always find someone else to love him, and i can get a couple skunks instead.

Youll love skunks, they have so much personality :) Always in the open, and they clean your hands after they get used of you.

Nice job....yea my blue CBS has turned into a complete dick. Long story short,i had a fire shrimp that used to clean all the fish. He died. I ended up buying a baby blue CBS, hes molted a few times now is more active....he will come up behind the fish as if he was going to clean them and then CHOMP! My watchman has taken the blunt of it. Hes got pinch marks on his face....keep an eye on yours....im fishing mine out soon and feeding him to my mantis :)

Tonight i did alot of thinking, and alot of stress was added, and removed from my tank.

Today i realized that the Royal Dottyback was a COMPLETE ahole.
I talked to my friend and he had absolutely no problem taking it. I had to tear down my tank to remove that effer. BUTBUTBUT!!!!

New scape, i added a false perc, and a large ultra green gonipora.

Oh, and a skunk cleaner, which was eaten nearly instantly by my CBS... -_-

Anyways, ill post pics tomorrow. Just a quick update.

Ya, dottybacks are know for being jerkfish.

But, just so you know, gonipora (flower pot corals) are very hard to keep alive for longer than a few months. They require very frequent feedings to stay healthy. What you will need to do is cut the top off of a 2 L soda bottle and place this over the coral. Then you will need to spot feed it something like oysterfest, cyclopese, some sort of small and meaty foods. Then leave the coral to eat for 15-20 minutes. This should happend 2 or 3 times a week to keep it in good health.

Next time, i would highly suggest doing some research on your corals you buy before purchasing them.

Ya, dottybacks are know for being jerkfish.

But, just so you know, gonipora (flower pot corals) are very hard to keep alive for longer than a few months. They require very frequent feedings to stay healthy. What you will need to do is cut the top off of a 2 L soda bottle and place this over the coral. Then you will need to spot feed it something like oysterfest, cyclopese, some sort of small and meaty foods. Then leave the coral to eat for 15-20 minutes. This should happend 2 or 3 times a week to keep it in good health.

Next time, i would highly suggest doing some research on your corals you buy before purchasing them.

woah woah woah, dont get ahead of yourself. :D
Ive done MASSIVE amounts of research on it, PRIOR.
I know that there is less than a 10% chance it will survive longer than 6-7 months. This is the only coral in the tank, and i plan on babying it and seeing if "ive got the magic touch" which is more than unlikely. I know this is a coral that makes people in the hobby for 30+ years cringe because its a pain in the butt.
If it dies, then never will i try again.

So my current livestock list is now -

Alpha Omega Zoas
Cherry Charm Zoas
Eagle Eye Zoas
Hammer
Pink Bubble
Red Ricordea
Ultra Green Goni

Fire blood shrimp
Emerald Crab
false perc clown
Firefish goby
Sapphire Damsel
Green clown goby (being moved into my pico tank when its cycled)
CUC
Everything is growing well, even had quite a bit of Coralline growing.
(On glass, back wall, pwerhead, etc.)

Feeding Phyto daily, and some other filter feeder foods twice a week for overall health, and especially for the Goni.

Looking at adding an MP10w and getting rid of that hideous korallia, and also adding a ATO so i can put the heater in the back without having to worry that it dipped a little low.

Pics!!

FTS - June 20th
IMG_4291.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

More updates as the tank grows.

Thanks for looking guys.

Back