GunNut1911's BC29 build

Keep feeding that goni, looks a bit like its starting to bleach out, but otherwise looks really good!

I would also put the goni on the sand bed too

Im running PCs on this setup, so i didnt think it would bleach it out. I havent really noticed though. It was under some MHs before i acquired it, which may have alot to do with its current state.
I wont put it directly on the sand bed seeing as some Gonis can get infections from sand and/or detritus buildup between the polyps, but i think ill move it as low as i can, still on some LR though.

Thanks for the tip

Actually not having enough light and food is what cause most coral bleachings, which is what I think is going on in your cause.

And you want them on the sand bed to keep them from being damaged from the rocks as they inflate and deflate, and if you are having buildup between the polys its a sign your tank doesnt have enough flow. Also, a healthy LPS wont pick up infections from the sand, and I doubt a sick one would as well. More likely they are getting something from the water column.

Hmm... well ive had multiple friends tell me to keep it off the sand bed, along with people on Nano-reef forums, and even some sites said to keep it off the sand bed.
Seeing as i have quite alot of snails in which will move sand around it.

Im willing to try it and see if it helps it. Its been high in the tank and didnt seem to do good at all, so i assumed too much light. Dropped it down, and gave it less flow. Built the ledge its on now, which i know if it fully extends the polyps would touch rocks, thus becoming jelly. But my issue has been its not fully inflated.
I think sand bed would be my next best guess. I really have been moving its location quite a bit, but ive been leaving it for a week or so to see how it responds.

Ill move it to the sand bed today and see how it looks in a few days from now.
I know there are a ton of reasons that corals bleach, and Gonis are known for it.
It hasnt bleached more since ive gotten it, or atleast i cant tell from photos.

It was on rocks, under MH and the temps were about 80 in the tank i got it from, which i think has ALOT to do with it. I honestly dont know how long under proper conditions it will take to help that though.

Thanks.

Im not sure why you think the coral being under metal halides and at 80 degF is a bad condition for the coral, metal halide lights are a far better source of usable light than your lights are. I have no idea what temp you are keeping your tank at, but 80 is just fine as long as its stable.

And if they coral isnt fully inflating in your tank, thats not a good sign for its recovery. How often and what are you spot feeding it?

Yes, obviously MH are far superior to PC bulbs. My temps are a little lower, right around 77.5. I feed it daily Phyto. It gets cyclopeeze, and mysis brine, and oysterfeast 3 times a week. (Not all at the same time, the 3 rotate.)

Seeing as Gonis are low light corals, i just assumed MH lights would be fine, if they were on the sand bed. It was not near the sand bed. It was near the top (about 8 inches from the bulbs) , and they had only had it about 2 days before i purchased it, dipped it, and introduced it into my tank.

I probably wounld put them up there because they would be on the rocks and close to the light, but I would still rather have one under metal halide lights than PC

And good work the spot feeding, but you can skip the the phyto. That is a very small food item and wont really feed anything in your tank, stick with the larger stuff.

Added my Vortech MP10 today.
My clown loves it, my corals all were mad since i was screwing around with the settings.
Pics about 10 mins after i settled on the settings i liked.

004-1.jpg

Hammer and Goni looked extremely washed out.
Goni's color is darkening up and getting more of a greenish hue. Think its pulling out of the funk its been in.

Well my Goniopora melted. Not surprised by any means, but it still really sucks. Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later i guess.

added some new coral, and moved some around.

Frogspawn
006.jpg

Duncan
005-3.jpg

Mushi rock
012-2.jpg

Armor of God Zoos
008-2.jpg

FTS
031.jpg

Last edited:
Added my Vortech MP10 today.
My clown loves it, my corals all were mad since i was screwing around with the settings.
Pics about 10 mins after i settled on the settings i liked.

004-1.jpg

Hammer and Goni looked extremely washed out.
Goni's color is darkening up and getting more of a greenish hue. Think its pulling out of the funk its been in.

right back at you, your tank looks great!

So, since the last little update, something major happened, and a friend had to break his reef down.
He gave me one hell of a homie hookup and so bassically my tank is stocked. (actually, overstocked with fish) because i cant get that blue damsel out. :angry:

Needless to say, i am very happy with how its turned out. (the toadstool will be moving to the right side of the tank, i know its too close to the frogspawn.)

250996_3772517749732_765777227_n.jpg

The scape is pretty much final, maybe some slight tweaking.

Back