Harvesting From the Gulf this weekend?

Maybe I can give a little insite on the LFS prices:D
Of course the stores have to recoup the shipping thats paid on livestock.We all know how expensive that is.
But there is also no guarantee on that same livestock.The stores have to pay for it once its added to their tanks.Yeah,they dont have to pay for what arrives dead.But if the animal isnt showing signs of being sick or stressed when its unbagged,but dies overnight,the store has losses that money.Plus you got to figure in the light bill (average $1500 a month at my LFS),water bill and a host of other overhead.

Yote, You own your own fish shop?

I will let everyone know how the Dive trip went this weekend. and try to take a underwater photo. The Reef's are awsome.

I know I won't change your mind so I won't try but I will state my opinion about your intentions. I find it very disturbing that you have such a casual attitude about capturing a wild animal and bringing it to your glass cage. In my opinion, it is selfish. Leave it alone. Responsible reef keeping means encouraging aquaculturing. It means we work together to stop people like you destroying our ocean's treasures. I know it seems harmless for you to grab one bit of the beauty you will experience on your dive. It's not harmless for the ocean or the environment or especially the critter you are going to remove from it's home.

I hope you have a safe dive and I hope the beauty of our ocean moves you to become an advocate for its preservation rather than an agent of its destruction.

Dont get me wrong I appreciate your Opinions.

Agent of Destruction, I like the ring of that. I guess I should have taken pictures of all the River Clean Ups Were I have picked Up Canoe Loads of Trash out of the Santa Fe River or Bags Of Broken Glass I find Diving the Suwannee River Lookin for Arrowheads. Or How about Picking Up trash from the Mangroves or Flats when I go to the Keys During the Summer?

I am Super Stoked that some of Us on these Forums are Advocates Of Aquaculture. I myself have a tank Full of stuff that was Farm raised. I Just want something that when my friends come over they are like "Cool, were did you get that?" and My reply would be "caught it myself when i was Spearfishing."

If I was Inshore I Would Not bother taking any Living Critter, there is to much polution and Idiots that Screw Up the Reefs that are close to land, those reefs Need Help. 30 Miles Out in the Gulf of Mexico is another story.

Finding out Differnt methods to Keep what ever I choose to harvest alive was what I was after, I have gotten some good info so far. Thank You.

I agree with what yote said. "I don't have a problem with harvesting a FRAG from the wild.As long as its done legally and ethically."

I really do not know why so many of you are being so critical. Okay may be just stating you opinion really. Ninja Spear is talking about harvesting a coral or two not wiping out the reef! I would also bet you that he will take much better care in doing it than the harvesters that do it for the coral companies that are selling them to us. I also find it hard to criticize someone when I know very well that I have fish and corals in my tank that are not Aquacultured. I seriously doubt that most of us do no matter how hard we have tried. Most of our fish are not tank raised. I believe that we all contribute to the problem of raping the reef by being hobbyists, so if you're looking to point your finger go look in the mirror.

I agree with what yote said. "I don't have a problem with harvesting a FRAG from the wild.As long as its done legally and ethically."

I really do not know why so many of you are being so critical. Okay may be just stating you opinion really. Ninja Spear is talking about harvesting a coral or two not wiping out the reef! I would also bet you that he will take much better care in doing it than the harvesters that do it for the coral companies that are selling them to us. I also find it hard to criticize someone when I know very well that I have fish and corals in my tank that are not Aquacultured. I seriously doubt that most of us do no matter how hard we have tried. Most of our fish are not tank raised. I believe that we all contribute to the problem of raping the reef by being hobbyists, so if you're looking to point your finger go look in the mirror.

David, I agree with you and Yote, taking a frag that is done legally and ethically is ok. There is a reason we don't let people grab stuff off our reefs. I've been to several National Parks that have been looted by visitors wanting a rock or two and it seems harmless but it leaves a toll on the natural environment. In my opinion, taking only pictures is the best philosophy. I work hard to make sure the stuff in my tank is aquacultured although I'm pretty sure not everything is. Look at D2mini, he's getting all kinds of cool stuff that has been pulled from the ocean in a responsible manner, it can be done in a fun way. I'm not judging Ninja, he is looking out for the welfare of the critter and I understand his motivations. He posted his intentions on this board and I have an opinion about them. I don't like what he is going to do, it bugs me. Is he better than the big companies that basically strip mine a reef? Probably. I still don't like it. Ninja seems like a reasonable person who is not raping the reef, he's looking for a trophy. I hope he includes an explanation to his buddies that he brags to that you shouldn't just take stuff from the reef and stick it in a tank....

I like that he posted here to get advice about how to care for the coral he plans to take. He had to know that he was going to get some disapproval though and so far no one has judged him, simply expressed opinions about what he plans to do.

Catherine

Yote, You own your own fish shop?

I will let everyone know how the Dive trip went this weekend. and try to take a underwater photo. The Reef's are awsome.

Naw.But a good friend of mine owns one and I help him out at the store every chance I get.

The thing about harvesting your own frags from the reefs,is its no different than fishing.You still have to buy your licenses,you have to know what you can and can not harvest,what the size limits are,and the legal harvest methods.
So its not like he's just taking something because its there.The reef is still protected and he's got to cross his Tees and dot his I's to keep from dealing with the game and fish commission in a bad way.
Its really no different than me hooking up my boat and heading to the lake fishing.

Back