have porcupine puffer...Quick question

Also did you have any reefs in the tank with your niger? I heard they wont really harm anything, just might move the corals around. Is this true?

and one other thing, I have an emrald crab that is a little bigger then a quarter, is this little guy toast? Him and the puffer are friends but I dont see how the trigger could kill the crab with that little mouth but I could be wrong!

let me tell you about my Niger trigger. He IS A STUD. He is not the king of the tank, the blue-ring angelfish is. BUT, he takes what he wants. He is aggressive during feeding time but plays well with the other fish (Ornate wrasse, flame angel, white-eyed moray eel, maroon clown, blue ring angelfish). They grow about 2 inches a year. Their teeth grow as well and they tend to turn red as they age. Mine is about 5 inches now and thich as your hand. He eats what he wants. He lives where he wants and likes to be in control. He ate my emerald crab. Ripped him apart. Never touched the cleaner shrimp. never touched the rock work and if you place the corals well, he will leave them alone as well. All crabs are toast. his rock-like teeth can do masive damage FAST. It will be 6 months and that emerald is gone. Safe with corals though

-Doc

I kept the trigger in a fish only tank.Don't know about Nigers but mine made a meal out of any crabs and snails.Even pulling hermits out of there shells.

There's a couple triggers reef safe-ish,a pinktail being one of them.Forgot the others.I think Doc has a Niger in a tank with corals at his job.

Ha! Reef, you are just jealous of my skills. Not to mention I stole that baby-picture of you. Just cuz you are bitter about that, don't take it out on me. Here, I will give it back to you.....

Freak.jpg

-Doc

Thanks for all the input guys! Everytime the trigger goes to swim around the puffer is swimming right on his butt, im afraid he might take a chunk out of the triggers tail but hopefully not. Im just EXTREMELY paranoid when I get a new fish.

I don't know if you'll be able to keep those fish in a 30 gallon tank. That's an awfully small tank for a puffer and a trigger and others.

I agree. you are looking at 8 inches of fish at the MOST in your tank. the Niger grows to be 12 inches. He will grow 2-3 inches a year and is a messy eater, meaning that he makes a big amount of waste when eating and pooping. You need a bigger tank with 4-5 months to keep those fish

-Doc

This is just a temporary tank for probably another month max. hopefully going to an 80 but if I find a 55 for cheap I will get that til I can afford an 80.

I am not sure if an 80 is going to be big enough for both the puffer and trigger either.

-Doc

well guys I picked up a 75 gallon today and as soon as it cycles they will be moving on up. This tank will be plenty big til I go 100+ gallons in about 4-5 months.

that should work out just fine. those guys need more room to feel comfortable and not stressed

-Doc

Back