He ate it?!?!

Waddi

Shenanigans?
Ok so my two mushrooms split into four mushrooms recently, and since they are in the middle of the sand on a tiny rock, one wasnt attached to anything solid, so i was like hey lets put it near the gobies hole! So i did this and put a little bit of netting over it. So an hour or so later i come back i see the netting ripped up and near where the decorater crab stays is the stork or bottom half where i put a tiny bit of glue and where it attached itself to the substrate, now i have seen him trying to rip my smaller mushrooms when i first added them, but i thought it was a coincidence.
But no im getting rid of the little git, he is really bugging me, and i always feel he is going to try catch and eat my clowns, he always hangs around the hammer at night waiting for them, so that little scheiße is going.

just thought i had to let you know! :D

Oh no!

But your decorator crab is more likely trying to "decorate" himself with your shrooms. That is how they camoflauge themselves in the wild.

But you are probably right about the clowns, most crabs, especially the big ones are oportunitisic predators and will go after fish if they get the chance. Not everyone has this issue with every crab though.

Yea, but the thing was i thought he might be trying to do that, so i just set him up with a tiny mushroom, and watched him and he started to eat, so i stopped him before he could do some real damage, i will see if i can video it or something.

HAHAHAHAHA I caught the Mothaaaaa.
He tried to snip my thumb, damn hurt, but he is in a little vented container, imma feed him and keep him in there till he finds a new home. :D

I wish I would have contained my hitchhiker crab when I had the chance. I also have a pom pom crab that I added. Do you think they might be the reason why I lost my peppermint and fire shrimp? Everything in my tank is doing awesome the coral growth is amazing and the fish look healthy...and I found my fire shrimp sucked onto my MP10 and the peppermint shrimp is MIA.

the pom pom crab wouldnt harm a thing, they are one of those exceptions to the crab rule.

But are you sure that you didnt see a cleaner shrimp molt? They are very similar looking.

Also you might never see your peps, they are very secretive

That is good to hear then! I think the other crab I tried to identify in another thread is to small to take down my two shrimp... It is just a mystery to me what killed them. My water parameters were within normal limits and even had them doubled checked at a LFS (Midwest coral farms <- great place) All of my hermits and snails are doing fine... so no idea what took out the shrimp, I cried a little when I came across the fire shrimp. I really liked that little guy

I had the two shrimps a while and have seem them both molt, it was not the most. And I have such a small tank with few hiding spots I doubt it that the peppermint shrimp is hiding. Plus he would always come out at dinner time and I haven't seen him come out to eat in over a week.

It is a bummber :( Hanna do you know of any diseases or any element that just effects shrimps? I have never tested my iodine or dosed the tank, but I believe it was okay because the fire shrimp molted 3 times since I got him and the peppermint shrimp twice I think.

From what I can see just the shrimp my snails and hermits seem to be doing okay. I see my pom pom crab from time to time. I haven't seen the pom pom molt yet.

the pom pom is a much more secretive creature, ive never seen mine molt either.

But if your other inverts are doing ok, it might have been bad luck or that other bad crab you have

Back