Heat- wattage for a 10 gal nano?

supernan79

Reefing newb
I was looking at getting a 50 watt, but my house has drastic temperature drops during winter while we're away at work. We have wood heat and the wood stove gets realllllllly hot so am setting up tank across the house to keep from boiling my fish when we have the wood stove fired up. Should I just get a 75 watt to make sure my heater doesn't struggle to keep my tank warm?

I'm not absolute, but on a cold day it could get down to the mid to high 50's if we're gone all day and forget to stoak up the wood stove before leaving. It's a really old house and we're in the process of fixing up but the living room windows are the newest in the house so we've started on the other windows in the house as far as upgrades. I don't want my tank where I won't see it often so I really want it in my living room.

Then get a 75 but you might need to set its couple degrees cooler because it is bigger. Also Cobalt has a nice plastic heater with nice controls. I think it is called the neo-therm.

DARN IT! I just ordered a heater before I saw this. :-/ I ordered a 50 watt because I was more paranoid of cooking the fish than I was of freezing them at this time of year where we get warmer days, lol. I will order a 75 soon as a back up to use when it starts getting super cold (it doen't get cold here until jan/feb).

Back